Uyinene Mrwetyana: South Africans remember her on 1-year anniversary

Uyinene Mrwetyana: South Africans remember her on 1-year anniversary

- Uyinene Mrwetyana died exactly one year ago today after running a simple errand

- Taking to social media, South Africans remembered the late UCT student on the anniversary of her death

- Uyinene was killed and sexually assaulted by Luyanda Botha, a post office worker

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see News on your News Feed!

On this day last year, Uyinene Mrwetyana ran a simple errand, collecting a parcel from the post office while unaware of the danger lying in wait for her.

She was killed by a post office worker and her death rocked South Africa. Now, a year after her senseless and brutal death, South Africans took to social media to mourn her. took a look at some of the posts shared online as Uyinene trended online.

Nomtobi Matlosa, who goes by the Twitter handle @Tobzizi, commented:

"Just saw the date and it’s exactly a year since Uyinene’s death. I think this case hit home so bad because it could have been any of us. She was not at a club , she was not with a guy, she left her place in broad daylight to fetch a parcel and never returned home."

READ ALSO: Scandal defends their star actor Hungani Ndlovu: Romeo is staying

Another social media user, @kealey___, added:

"Today we remember the beautiful Uyinene Mrwetyana, 365 days it has been and still, we bleed. May her sweet soul rest in peace."

Uyinene Mrwetyana: South Africans remember her a year after her death

Last year on 24 August, Uyinene Mrwetyana was murdered by a post office worker and her death rocked Mzansi. Photo: @Refilwe_kumalo, @KayMahlatsi.
Source: Twitter reported Uyinene was beaten to death with a scale by a post office worker. Luyanda Botha confessed to the heinous crime and was ultimately sentenced for the rape and murder of Uyinene Mrwetyana.

Judge Gayaat Salie-Hlophe handed down three life sentences as well as an additional five years for defeating the ends of justice. The Cape Town High Court heard how the accused pleaded guilty to the horrific crime, entering into a plea and sentencing agreement with the state.

This did little to impede the severity of the charges, with Botha only eligible to apply for parole after serving one of his life sentences - 25 years from now. The UCT student's family had been consulted by the state before the agreement had been entered into.

Before he was found guilty, the court and South Africa heard about Uyinene's horrific final moments.

In other news, a video in which South African police officers are being chased away by wild party-goers has gone viral on social media.

In the video uploaded by Twitter user @Chris_Plaatjie, the cops can be seen exiting the party after seemingly being unable to stop the drunk locals from dancing and shouting.

The video, which was uploaded by Twitter user @Chris_Plaatjie, received thousands of reactions from tweeps who expressed their feeling towards the distasteful actions of the drunken partiers.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!


Online view pixel