Antonio Banderas is a Spanish film director, actor, businessman, and film producer. He is widely known for his numerous great movies such as The Mask of Zorro (1998), Puss in Boots (2011 and 2012), and Assassins (1995). His film industry accomplishments have also bagged him several awards like Primetime Emmy Awards and five Golden Globe Awards.
Is Antonio Banderas nice? Based on accounts, the actor is a lovely person who has other likeable traits such as humility, being funny, loyal, sincere, and honest. Combined with his talent, this explains why his career has done so well beyond continental borders. So what is the story behind the success of actor Antonio Banderas?
Antonio Banderas profile summary
- Name: José Antonio Domínguez Banderas
- Date of birth: 10th August 1960
- Place of birth: Málaga, Spain
- Antonio Banderas age: 60 years old as of 2020
- Nationality: Spanish
- Antonio Banderas Facebook: @AntonioBanderas
- Twitter: @antoniobanderas
- Antonio Banderas Instagram: @antoniobanderasoficial
- Relationship status: Twice divorced
- Occupation: Film director, actor, businessman, and film producer
- Famous for: His numerous movies such as The Shrek, Spy Kids, and The Legend of Zorro
Antonio Banderas biography
Antonio was born to father José Domínguez Prieto (1920–2008) and mother Ana Banderas Gallego (1933–2017). The father was a Civil Guard police officer while the mother was a schoolteacher. The actor has a brother, Francisco. The family lived in the southern Spanish town of Fuengirola, near Marbella, and they were staunch Roman Catholics, a faith that Antonio adheres to deeply to date.
Interestingly, as a child, Antonio had no aspirations of being a professional actor. Like every Spanish boy, he wanted to become a professional footballer. However, this dream was shattered when he got an ankle injury at the age of 14 years. He has always been a massive supporter of Malaga FC.
What school did Antonio Banderas go to? After his accident, Antonio concentrated on singing and acting. He got into arts where he went to the ARA Theatre-School and the College of Dramatic Art in Malaga. He also has an honorary degree from Dickinson College (2000) and an honorary doctorate from the University of Málaga (2010).
Banderas started his acting at the School of Dramatic Art in Málaga. He made his debut in a theatre in the same town. His early acting days were rough as he was on the wrong side of the law due to the political censorship present at the time. He moved to Madrid when he was 19 years old, launching himself on the theatre circuit.
He made his film debut in 1982 in the movie Labyrinth of Passion, which was directed by Pedro Almodóvar. After that, Banderas worked with the director on other films such as Law of Desire (he played a gay role) and the internationally successful Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. Eventually, he got his big break into Hollywood after starring in Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!
Madonna, in 1991, introduced Banderas to Hollywood. In the early days, the Spanish actor struggled with English, but still managed to hold his own. His first American drama was the 1992 film titled The Mambo Kings. A year later, he broke out even further in the American scene after appearing in Philadelphia.
Following that success, he broke into the international scene with several movies such as Desperado and Assassins. During this time, he worked further with Madonna, Sylvester Stallone, Robert Rodriguez, Salma Hayek, Penélope Cruz, Johnny Depp, and Melanie Griffith.
Antonio Banderas movies list
Antonio is a charming, energetic, creative, and self-driven actor, director, and film producer. His numerous list of films include:
- 1982- Pestañas postizas as Antonio Juan
- 1983- Y del seguro... líbranos Señor! as Pipi
- 1984- El caso Almería as Juan Luque
- 1985- La Corte de Faraón as Fray José
- 1986- 27 horas as Rafa
- 1987- Así como habían sido as Damián
- 1988- Baton Rouge as Antonio
- 1989- El Acto as Carlos
- 1990- Contra el viento as Juan
- 1991- Terra Nova as Antonio
- 1992- Una mujer bajo la lluvia as Miguel
- 1993- The House of the Spirits as Pedro Tercero García
- 1994- Interview with the Vampire as Armand
- 1995- Two Much as Art Dodge
- 1996- Evita as Ché
- 1999- The 13th Warrior as Ahmad ibn Fadlan
- 2001, 2002, 2003- Spy Kids, Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams, Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over respectively as Gregorio "Greg" Cortez
- 2004, 2007, 2010- Shrek 2, Shrek the Third, and Shrek Forever After respectively as Puss in Boots (voice)
- 2005- The Legend of Zorro as Don Alejandro de la Vega/Zorro
- 2006- Take the Lead as Pierre Dulaine
- 2007- Bordertown as Alfonso Díaz
- 2008- The Other Man as Ralph
- 2009- Thick as Thieves as Gabriel Martin
- 2011- The Skin I Live In as Dr. Robert Ledgard
- 2012- Ruby Sparks as Mort
- 2013- Machete Kills as Gregorio "Greg" Cortez
- 2014- The Expendables 3 as Galgo
- 2015- The 33 as Mario Sepúlveda
- 2015- The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water as Burger Beard
- 2016- Altamira as Marcelino Sanz de Sautuola
- 2017- The Music of Silence as The Maestro
- 2018- Life Itself as Mr. Saccione
- 2019- Pain and Glory as Salvador Mallo
- 2020- Dolittle as Rassouli
- Post-production- Lamborghini – The Legend as Ferruccio Lamborghini
- 2021- The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard
Awards and nominations
Aside from the numerous accolades, he has also received plenty of major nominations, some of which he won. These include:
- 1989- Valladolid International Film Festival Award for Best Actor for the movie La Blanca Paloma
- 1999- ALMA Award for Outstanding Director of a Feature Film and European Film Academy Achievement in World Cinema Award for directing Crazy in Alabama
- 1999- ALMA Award for Outstanding Actor in a Feature Film for the movie The 13th Warrior
- 2003- Theatre World Award and Outstanding Actor in a Musical in the Drama Desk Award and Outer Critics Circle Award for the musical Nine
- 2006- Imagen Motion Picture Award for Best Actor in the film Take the Lead
- 2011- Fangoria Chainsaw Award for Best Actor in the film The Skin I Live in
- 2015- Nominated - Imagen Motion Picture Award for Best Actor for the movie The 33
- 2019- Won Best Actor in Cannes Film Festival Award, European Film Award, Los Angeles Film Critics Association Award, National Society of Film Critics Award, New York Film Critics Circle Award, and Goya Award for the movie Pain and Glory
As a businessman, he has made several investments, such as owning half of a red and rose winery called Anta Banderas in Spain. He also has significant investments in Antonio Banderas perfume, including associations with Puig and his Blue Seduction line. He has invested in Andalusian products that he promotes in Spain and the US.
Antonio Banderas wife
Is Antonio Banderas in a relationship? Antonio has been married twice and divorced. His first wife was Ana Leza, whom he divorced in 1996 after marriage in either 1986 or 1988. He then met and started dating actress Melanie Griffith in 1995 at the set of Two Much.
Are Antonio Banderas and Melanie Griffith still married? Antonio and Melanie Griffith got married on 14th May 1996 in the UK but divorced officially in December 2015. With Melanie, the actor had one child called Stella Del Carmen Banderas. She was born in 1996 at Marbella’s Costa del Sol Hospital.
Antonio Banderas net worth
What is Antonio Banderas net worth? The celebrity has made millions for himself from the numerous roles in the entertainment industry as well as business ventures. His current net worth is estimated at $45 million.
Antonio earned $4 million for 1996's Evita and $12 million for 2001's The Body. Together with his ex-wife, they owned numerous multi-million properties that they put on sale after the divorce. However, with his current net worth, the actor can afford to live a luxurious lifestyle.
Antonio Banderas latest news
Earlier this month, while celebrating his 60th birthday, Antonio announced that he had tested positive for COVID 19. He announced the Antonio Banderas COVID 19 news on his Instagram account. Antonio added that he felt great and in isolation. Further, the actor said that he is using isolation to work on himself and make his 60th year meaningful.
Antonio Banderas has been on our screens for decades, and never does he disappoint. While it is not always a good thing to see young dreams shattered, it is safe to say that his footballing aspirations ending worked out for the best. We wish him a speedy recovery from the COVID 19 virus.
Briefly.co.za profiled Yonda Thomas. Famous for acting roles in many films such as Ambitions, Doubt, Class Act, Seriously Single, and End Game, among many others, the 34-year old handsome actor is a native of Umtata, SA. Currently, he resides in Eersterust, Pretoria.
Yonda has a Bachelor of Public Administration degree. He desired to join politics and become a diplomat, but that never happened since his acting career started. His wife, Taz Emerans, is a fitness trainer.
- Bella Thorne bio: age, boyfriend, movies, TV shows, OnlyFans earnings, net worth, profile
- Mpho Sebeng bio: age, girlfriend, TV shows, movies, nominations, profile
- Themsie Times bio: age, home town, siblings, parents, addiction, car accident, career
- Natalie Maimane bio: Age, children, parents, maiden name, profile, facts