KZN police officials are set to appear in court to face charges of defrauding the TERS fund of R700 000. Explore the top stories on the Covid-19 pandemic in South Africa with Briefly.co.za.
Three Durban police officials will appear in court on Tuesday to answer to charges of attempting to defraud the UIF to the tune of R700 000.
This comes as authorities lament an increase in lockdown restriction violations after a busy weekend for law enforcement.
Explore the latest updates on the pandemic with Briefly.co.za below:
1. Cops in court for R700 000 TERS fraud
Three Durban Central Tactical Response team members are set to appear in court after attempting to defraud the UIF fund of nearly R700 000.
During the Covid-19 pandemic, an application by a company called 'National Adhesive' was approved by the TERS scheme. The banking details of the company were changed and the funds were funnelled into a private bank account instead of to the business.
The 150 workers went without relief while the main suspect, with no ties to the company, walked away with his loot before eventually being released. The Hawks released a statement on the matter ahead of the court appearance on Tuesday:
’’Investigations revealed that the account belonged to a police officer from the Durban Central Tactical Response Team. He allegedly transferred the money into different bank accounts belonging to another police officer and two civilians.”
2. Police say few citizens are complying with lockdown
Johannesburg Metro Police Department spokesperson Wayne Minnaar says that statistics from the weekend show people aren't complying with lockdown restrictions.
Speaking to eNCA after a busy weekend following the relaxation to Level 2, Minnaar said:
"Many few people really comply with the Covid lockdown regulations. We are finding many people without masks and many people drinking in the streets. There are still many people not complying to the current Level 2 [curfew] regulations. We still found people hanging around, particularly in the busy areas."
The JMPD committed to continuing operations to ensure compliance after a weekend which saw over 700 arrests in the province.
3. Latest Covid-19 statistics
Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize has provided SA with the latest statistics on the Covid-19 pandemic in SA. Commenting on the situation in a statement issued by the Health Ministry, Mkhize said that:
"As of today, a cumulative total of 611 450 confirmed Covid-19 cases in South Africa have been recorded with 1 677 new cases identified."
Unfortunately the minister confirmed that additional fatalities had been recorded:
"Regrettably, we report 100 more Covid-19 related deaths: 14 from KwaZulu-Natal, 36 in Mpumalanga, 12 from Gauteng, 8 from Limpopo, 11 from Eastern Cape and 19 from Western Cape."
However, Mkhize confirmed that 516 494 citizens have made a recovery with the current rate at 84%.
Earlier, Briefly.co.za reported that the World Health Organization had released guidelines on the use of face masks in children during the pandemic. A team of experts found that children older than 12 should use masks in the same manner as adults
However, the findings put forward that children under the age of six had less need for masks with the effectiveness of the measure called into question.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!