- Usain Bolt has not been spared by the dangerous coronavirus
- The 34-year-old was said to have tested positive for the virus after attending a surprise birthday party in Jamaica
- Raheem Sterling, Leon Bailey and some other stars were in attendance
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!
100 and 200-metre world record-holder Usain Bolt has tested positive for the coronavirus just days after his 34th birthday. The Jamaican hosted a number of stars including Manchester City winger Raheem Sterling in his home country, as reported by Daily Mail.
Nationwide90FM reports that the greatest sprinter of all time will now be in self-isolation as a result of his present predicament.
READ ALSO: Tito Mboweni shows off his chicken dish, gets roasted by Nando's
The publication claims the retired athlete was tested for Covid-19 and his result returned positive on Sunday, August 23.
Apart from Sterling, Bayer Leverkusen attacker Leon Bailey and cricket legend Chris Gayle were all said to have attended a surprise party in honour of the sprinter.
After the event, the decorated athlete described it as the 'best birthday ever' while sharing pictures on his official Instagram page featuring a sweet picture of himself and his baby girl Olympia.
So far, no fewer than 1 413 coronavirus cases have been recorded on the Caribbean island and 16 have died from the illness.
READ ALSO: Inside Bonang Matheba and Pinky Girl's luxury weekend getaway
On Saturday, Prime Minister Andrew Holness warned of a recent surge in cases and urged Jamaicans to 'exercise greater vigilance' to prevent the spread.
"There is a need for consciousness… for conscious personal responsibility on the part of every citizen," he said.
The management for Bolt have been contacted for comment.
Briefly.co.za earlier reported that Premier League champions Liverpool have recorded their first coronavirus case ahead of their pre-season training camp. The Merseyside outfit is currently in Austria in a bid to get their preparation for the 2020/21 season off to a good start.
They, however, suffered a major setback on Tuesday, August 18 after one of the members of staff tested positive for the deadly coronavirus.
SunSport quoting Daily Mirror reported that the Reds would not stop their training schedule despite the Covid-19 diagnosis. The club's spokesperson has neither confirmed nor denied the report.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!