GoFundMe campaign for Jacob Blake overtakes sum of $1m (R17,3m)

GoFundMe campaign for Jacob Blake overtakes sum of $1m (R17,3m)

- Another black man, Jacob Blake, suffered dehumanisation in the hands of the US police as he was shot several times in the back for a crime he had no hand in

- Two police officers have been placed on leave pending the conclusion of the case as Blake's family called for the arrest of those involved

- A charity fund purse opened for Blake to cover his medical expenses went over $1 illionm (R17,3 million), passing the initial target of $250 000 (R4,3 million)

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

The GoFundMe account set up for another black victim of police brutality, Jacob Blake, who was injured in Wisconsin grossed over $1 million in a day, passing its $250,000 mark.

The 29-year-old man was shot many times in the back as he was going towards his car after police officers were in his neighbourhood for domestic violence call. According to his lawyer, Ben Crump, Blake was only trying to solve the case and was walking towards his SUV when the police arrived.

The shooting was in the presence of his children who are aged 3, 5, and 8. He was taken to Froedtert Hospital in Milwaukee where he is receiving treatment.

READ ALSO: Jerusalema, Tsonga style: Beautiful ladies show off moves in video

The fundraiser, reported to be linked to his mother Julia Jackson, said that the fund will be used to assist the family in covering medical expenses and take care of Blake’s children.

His father, Crump, said that the shooting has paralysed his son from the waist down as he said that his son would need a miracle before he could walk again.

A collage showing Blake. Photo source: Insider/Face2Face Africa

A collage showing Blake. Photo source: Insider/Face2Face Africa
Source: UGC

“The medical diagnosis right now is that he is paralysed and because those bullets severed his spinal cord and shattered some of his vertebrae. It is going to take a miracle for Jacob Blake Jr to ever walk again.
“He is currently in surgery as we speak, still struggling to sustain his life and to hopefully become some resemblance of the man he once was,” he said on Tuesday, August 25.

In a press conference on Tuesday, the family bitterly condemned the shooting as they called for the immediate arrest of the officer who fired the shots.

It should be noted that two officers have been placed on leave as investigations into the incident are currently ongoing.

READ ALSO: Life with Kelly Khumalo: Singer opens up about Senzo and Jub Jub

Meanwhile, Briefly.co.za earlier reported that three former Minneapolis police officers were charged over the death of George Floyd, a black American who was killed.

Also, Derek Chauvin, a former officer who had already been charged with third-degree murder in the case, will now be charged with second-degree murder.

This was disclosed by Sen. Amy Klobuchar in a tweet on Wednesday, June 3. They are charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel