- Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula revealed the government was working towards creating jobs that are reserved for only South Africans
- Mbalula made the revelation while answering questions about the plans to ensure that the trucking industry was stable
- This follows local truck drivers protesting last month to demand that companies stop hiring foreigners
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!
Minister of transport, Fikile Mbalula, revealed that the ANC came up with plans to ensure the trucking industry was stable following protests by local drivers.
According to Mbalula, the government is creating jobs that would be reserved for only South Africans.
“With the Covid-19 situation in our hands, these are some of the things that we have to address in terms of our regulations and laws in the country."
Mbalula added the law should defend South Africans in terms of what was a scarce skill, as well as stipulate what jobs foreign nations could do in the country.
He referred to other African countries that are doing the same. Mbalula in particular mention Ghana, where the law says certain jobs are reserved for only citizens.
IOL reported Mbalula said:
“It’s not xenophobic. It’s simply obedience to the laws of the country. South Africans must also equally do the same. There are certain jobs in the country that must be preserved for South Africans only. It cannot be a given in our society to accept that our people are lazy and don’t want to do certain jobs. We must regulate.”
Last month, truck operators have issued a threat to shut down the entire country in protest of a long-standing issue in the industry.
The sector is protesting against the widespread employment of foreign nationals in most sectors of the economy for far lower wages than their local counterparts.
The industry has called for the government to intervene in this issue at a time where millions of South Africans are facing crippling unemployment.
READ ALSO: UIF temporary relief fund suspended amid fraud risk investigation
In other news, Briefly.co.za earlier reported ANC secretary-general Ace Magashule has been summoned to appear before the party's integrity commission after he allegedly said that no-one should be expected to step down on the basis of unsubstantiated allegations.
According to a leaked letter addressed to Magashule, he has been ordered to make sure he is available next week. The commission had initially hoped to meet with Magashule on Saturday, 29 August but had to postpone the meeting because of a Special NEC meeting scheduled for 28 to 30 August.
An NEC member, who spoke on condition of anonymity, expressed that there is "a clear orchestrated agenda" to gun for Magashule.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!