- Corruption-accused former eThekwini mayor, Zandile Gumede, is once again embroiled in scandal
- The politician has been asked to take a leave of absence from her duties in the KZN legislature after being sworn in less than 2 weeks ago
- This comes after there was public uproar over her appointment in the legislature amid an ongoing tender fraud investigation
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!
Former eThekwini mayor, Zandile Gumede, has been asked by the ANC's KwaZulu-Natal provincial executive committee(PEC) to take a leave of absence.
According to News24, the corruption-accused Gumede was asked to step aside from both the legislature and the eThekwini regional task team.
It has also been reported by the publication that ANC KZN deputy chair Mike Mabuyakhulu sent a letter with the intention to resign from his position.
Briefly.co.za had previously reported Zandile Gumede is officially an honourable member of the KwaZulu-Natal legislature. The ANC politician was sworn in as an ANC MPL. She replaced the late MPL Ricardo Mthembu, who passed away from Covid-19 in June.
Gumede was removed as mayor by the ANC in KZN after she was accused of corruption. There is an ongoing R430m corruption case against her and her 17 others.
The former mayor appeared in the Durban Commercial Crimes Court in July on charges pertaining to a case of tender fraud from 2016.
The case was postponed to next month. Gumede has always denied the allegations, insisting that she was the victim of a political smear campaign.
READ ALSO: Nathaniel Julius: US singer Solange Knowles pays tribute to teen
In similar news, president Cyril Ramaphosa replied to oral questions in the National Assembly on Thursday, 27 August. The president addressed the state's role in the combating femicide, corruption and the claims of the R500 billion Covid-19 stimulus package being stolen.
In July the IMF approved South Africa's first request for emergency aid, granting the country a loan of R72.5bn for Covid-19 relief.
The loan, at an interest rate of about 1%, will help the government finance its R500 billion Covid-19 relief package. Speaking at the plenary session, Ramaphosa has denied that the R500 billion has been looted.
He said: “What has been actually spent on personal protective equipment as per the Treasury records is about R11 billion. And much of that money has gone into buying PPEs.”
He said that as the cases of corruption continue to be investigated, the amount that has been lost will be clearer. "It is not R500 billion, I needed to clarify that."
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!