- Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize's claims on South Africa's relationship with alcohol have been checked
- Mkhize recently claimed that South Africans drink more per person than anywhere else on the continent of Africa
- The minister was wrong, Tunisia, Eswatini and Namibia are way ahead of Mzansi
Minister of Health Dr Zweli Mkhize recently claimed that South Africans drink more per person than anywhere else in Africa. The minister made the claim in a guest column for one of Mzansi's online news site.
Mkhize also claimed that SA drinkers are among the top drinkers in the world. The minister explained that only 31% of the South African population drinks, but alcohol consumption is having a massive impact on the country's healthcare system.
Mkhize said prior to the Covid-19 pandemic, government was already contemplating the devastating effects of alcohol in the society. He revealed that government was already taking steps towards legislated regulation of alcoholic beverage sales and consumption.
According to Africa Check, South Africans don't consume more per person on average than anywhere else in Africa. The minister was wrong on the column published on News24. Tunisia, Eswatini and Namibia are ahead of Mzansi.
"South African drinkers over the age of 15 consumed on average 29.9 litres of pure alcohol each in 2016. The figure was 37.5 litres for men and 13.7 litres for women.
"But three other African countries had higher levels of consumption among drinkers. Tunisia (36.6 litres), Eswatini (34.4 litres) and Namibia (32.4 litres) were above South Africa in the ranking," reports Africa Check.
In other news, Briefly.co.za reported that IFP MP Mangosuthu Buthelezi recently recovered from Covid-19, his family confirmed in a statement. The 91-year-old leader received a negative test result on Thursday, family spokesperson Bhekuyise Buthelezi said.
The politician recovered just in time for his 92nd birthday celebration on 27 August. Buthelezi tested positive on 8 August. He had been in self-isolation ever since. He revealed that he was asymptomatic when he tested positive. He showed no signs of the virus until his recovery.
"We, the family of Prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi, are pleased to confirm that uMntwana wa KwaPhindangene has completed the mandatory period of self-isolation after being diagnosed positive for Covid-19 on August 8."
The family spokesman said Buthelezi's full medical tests have provided them with complete assurance that he is in good health.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!