Virgil Vries is the man responsible for ensuring that Swallows Football Club does not concede a goal in any match. He is a Namibian-born footballer and number one goalkeeper in his country's football league.
Anyone can rise to stardom if they are determined and not afraid to rise again whenever they stumble. Such is the inspirational story of Virgil Vries. Even after the termination of his contract, he managed to get up and continue being the best.
Virgil Vries profile summary
- Full name: Virgil Christo Vries
- Date of birth: 29th March 1989
- Place of birth: Keetmanshoop, Namibia
- Virgil Vries age: 31 years
- Nationality: Namibian
- Ethnicity: Black
- Height: 5 feet 11 inches
- Profession: Football player
- Virgil Vries current club: Moroka Swallows FC
- Virgil Vries net worth: €300,000
Virgil was born on 29th March 1989 in Keetmanshoop, South of Namibia. His grandparents raised the footballer as his mother was working in Windhoek. There is no mention of his father or siblings.
Virgil attended St Mathias Primary School. He joined J.A. Nel Secondary School in 2007 for his high school education. Playing around but not being naughty is one of his most vivid childhood memories.
The footballer left Namibian Eleven Arrows and joined Golden Arrows in 2011 by signing a 3-year contract. In Novembers 2011, the player caused a massive mess after completely missing a pass from Robyn Johannes.
In January 2012, Virgil was loaned to second division side Carara Kicks. Later on, the same year, he signed a short-term contract with Orlando Pirates in the Namibian Premier League.
In January 2012, he joined the Maritzburg United F.C. in the Premier Soccer League. Since then, Virgil made 27 appearances for the Maritzburg United F.C. and kept a clean sheet in eight games.
On 4th June 2011, he debuted for the Namibia national football team against Burkina Faso national football team, which ended in a 1-4 loss for Namibia. As of now, Virgil Vries new club is the Moroka Swallows FC.
Here is the breakdown of his senior career:
- 2008 - Fedics United
- 2009 - Namibia national football team
- 2008 to 2011 - Eleven Arrows football club
- 2011 to 2012 - Golden Arrows football club
- 2012 - Carara Kicks football club
- 2012 to 2013 - Orlando Pirates football club
- 2013 to 2017 - Maritzburg United football club
- 2017 to 2018 - Baroka football club
- 2018 to 2019 - Kaizer Chiefs football club
- 2019 - Moroka Swallows football club
Virgil Vries Kaizer Chiefs
Kaizer Chiefs announced the departure of Vries from the club even though he still had two more years as per his contract with Amakhosi. Vries was offloaded from the club in preparation for the incoming season.
Vries left the club having made eight appearances across all domestic competitions. He attained six goals in the eight matches and picked up four clean sheets. However, Vries was relegated to the stands due to the two costly mistakes he made against Mamelodi Sundowns and Cape Town City.
Here is the breakdown of Vries stats:
- ABSA Premiership - 89 appearances, 111 goals conceded, 22 nil-nil games, 7.968 minutes played
- Telkom Knockouts - 5 appearances, five goals conceded, one nil-nil game, 480 minutes played
- Nedbank Cup - 4 appearances, five goals conceded, one nil-nil game, 420 minutes played
- CAF Confederation Cup - 3 appearances, five goals conceded, one nil-nil game, 270 minutes played
- MTN 8 - 2 appearances, five goals conceded, one nil-nil game, 210 minutes played
Virgil Vries wife
The former Kaizer Chiefs footballer is one of the most private celebrities. He loves to keep his life away from the limelight. As a result, he has not mentioned anything about his wife.
Virgil had made quite a reasonable sum of money before his untimely termination from the team. Virgil Vries salary at Chiefs was his highest market price, valued at €350,000. He has never mentioned the amount he earned from the other contracts.
The termination of his contract with Kaizer Chiefs was a big blow not only to his career but to his wealth too. However, he continued doing what he loves best and landed another contract with the Moroka Swallows Football Club.
Even though the current Virgil Vries salary is not publicly known, his market value stands at €300,000.
Virgil Vries new car
Even after parting ways with the Kaizer Chiefs, Vries stills moves around in style. When he is off the field, he is often spotted driving a sporty Audi RS3 Quattro whose retail price is a handsome R903,500.
The footballer tends to parade his prized asset on various social media platforms. He has added some personal touch to the car, thus making it classier. Virgil Vries Instagram platform is where he flaunts his vehicle.
Virgil Vries latest news
In the recent Virgil Vries news, the player is on the quest to redeem himself as one of the best players despite his previous blunders. During the GladAfrica Championship, Virgil garnered 40 points. These were just five points behind leaders Ajax Cape Town.
After the sloppy stunt with the Chiefs happening between July 2018 and March 2019, he has re-established himself as one of the most consistent goalkeepers in the second tier.
Virgil Vries enjoys being a footballer and continues to do the best he can in the field. His ability to rise again even after a failure has seen him gain global support as many can relate to him. The continuous support from his fans has helped him achieve a lot in his football career.
Leonardo Castro is a legendary footballer from the time of his younger years and even now. He continues to inspire young players, especially since he plays far away from home. His fans are anxiously waiting to see what the future has in store for him.
- Daniel Cardoso bio: age, wife, parents, stats, salary, tattoos, cars, house, net worth
- Teko Modise biography: age, measurements, wife, business, current team, stats, salary, cars, house, Instagram and net worth
- Lucas Radebe age, children, wife, parents, position, stats, current job, salary, cars, house, Instagram and net worth