- Comrades Marathon star Nick Bester is in the ICU after he was attacked on Sunday
- The athlete, who won the 1991 Comrades marathon, was assaulted and stripped during a workout in the Magaliesberg mountains near his house in Pretoria
- His son, Shaun-Nick, detailed in an Instagram post what happened to Bester and it left South Africans heartbroken
Former comrades marathon winner, Nick Bester, is in the intensive care unit (ICU) after he was assaulted while training on Sunday.
His son, Shaun-Nick, took to Instagram to share photos of Bester following the incident. He revealed his father had been working out near his house in Pretoria when he was assaulted.
Shaun-Nick said he was contacted by the media and decided to share the story online since "everyone already knows".
His post read:
"My father was busy training this morning in the Magalies mountain close to his house and got attacked from behind and hit with a rock over the head.
"They continued to hit him, breaking three ribs, his cheekbone and he has a lot of trauma to the head and cuts all over his body. They took of his clothes and tied him up and left him in the mountain."
Shaun-Nick added that his father survived by sliding down the mountain on his back until he was right against someone's fence.
"He is in ICU at the moment and they are doing more scans etc," he concluded.
South Africans were shocked over the incident and many said that people need to take protection with them when they go out, even if it is just to work out.
Twitter user, @bhunuza, commented:
"That is why I always carry my knife when I am cycling alone. No one will take my bike without a fight."
Another tweep, @Patience_Molepo, added:
"Sometimes I think to myself that some of these crimes have elements of hate, envy and spite. If you have taken all valuables, what's the justification for assault?"
Social media user, @Polly12346, wrote:
"The violence in SA is out of control. Where is proper policing? If they can’t do it we have to make a plan to look after ourselves. Train in groups, have a car following. Maybe even armed?"
In other news, Briefly.co.za earlier reported ANC MP Bongani Bongo will be taking a leave of absence while facing his corruption trial, according to a recent report. The Member of Parliament and ANC NEC member will be following eThekwini mayor Zandile Gumede's lead and taking a break in order to face charges.
The ex-minister and current chair of Parliament's Committee on Home Affairs, Bongo is currently facing corruption charges after allegedly offering to bribe the evidence leader of a probe into Gupta influence at Eskom.
Vanara is adamant that Bongo had offered him a 'blank cheque' in exchange for calling off the investigation. The politician has denied the allegation and even went as far as blaming the likes of Minister Pravin Gordhan, Baleka Mbete and even Jackson Mthembu of orchestrating a plot against him.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!