- Ten of the wealthiest moguls in the technology industry have lost $44 billion (R729 billion) of their collective wealth
- The billionaires lost the huge amount of money on Thursday, September 3 as the United States equities tumbled
- Jeff Bezos topped the list of those who lost on Thursday as the Amazon co-founder had $9 billion erased from his wealth
The ten richest technology moguls lost $44 billion from their collective wealth on Thursday, September 3, as the United States equities tumbled.
The wealthiest man in the world and co-founder of Amazon Inc, Jeff Bezos, lost the most as $9 billion was erased from his wealth.
According to a report by Bloomberg, Amazon's shares fell the most since June, while Tesla CEO Elon Musk had $8.5 billion erased from his wealth.
These are the ten world's 10 richest tech moguls who lost $44 billion on Thursday, September 3:
- Bill Gates: $2.9 billion
- Elon Musk: $8.5 billion
- Jack Ma: $1.6 billion
- Jeff Bezos: $9.0 billion
- Larry Ellison: $2.4 billion
- Larry Page: $3.6 billion
- MacKenzie Scott: $3.2 billion
- Mark Zuckerberg: $4.2 billion
- Sergey Brin $3.5 billion
- Steve Ballmer: $4.8 billion
In other Briefly.co.za news, MacKenzie Scott has become the richest woman in the world. MacKenzie and her ex-husband Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon, settled their divorce in 2019.
As a result of the divorce settlement, MacKenzie was the recipient of around $38 billion worth in Amazon shares.
The large sum has seen her surpassing the previous record holder, Françoise Bettencourt Meyers, an heiress who owns and controls 33.3% of the world's largest cosmetic company L'oreal.
MacKenzie, who is a philanthropist, does not shy away from charity. In July this year she donated $1.7 billion of her wealth to several different causes.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!