- Deputy President David Mabuza says that load-shedding in South Africa will come to an end soon
- The introduction of the power plants Kusile and Medupi in the electricity grid will ease the issue of load-shedding
- Two power stations are currently undergoing changes to remedy the problem
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!
The Deputy President of South Africa, David Mabuza, urges South Africans to be patient as load-shedding will soon become a thing of the past. Mabuza said that the government was confident in Eskom's leadership team, despite the circumstances.
Whilst answering questions from the National Council of Provinces, Mabuza said that Eskom had been suffering maintenance issues at old power plants. He said:
“Our fleet, our power stations, are very old. The maintenance of such power stations presents a problem [as] they fail from time to time.”
According to a report by BusinessTech, the deputy president assured South Africans that there would be less load-shedding after introducing the Kusile and Medupi power plants to South Africa's electricity grid.
READ ALSO: Master KG bursts with pride as Cristiano Ronaldo grooves to Jerusalema
The construction of the Medupi power plant is expected to be completed later in 2020 and Kusile could come three years later.
According to the deputy president, Eskom has been dealing with the costs of defects which have been affecting both the Medupi and Kusile power stations respectively. The deputy president stated:
"We are advised by the leadership of Eskom that a great deal of progress has been made in effecting corrective technical modifications which are required at Kusile and Medupi."
The deputy president maintained that once the problems with the power stations were sorted, load-shedding in South Africa would be minimal.
READ ALSO: Video shows man having a meeting with animals: SA in stitches
Briefly.co.za previously reported that deputy president David Mabuza had returned to work after recovering from illness.
After being back at work for 10 days, Mabuza says that he is ready to return to the ANC's Integrity Commission to clear his name but the politician made it clear a call to step aside would not be resisted.
Mabuza joined ANC officials during a press briefing held on Monday to announce the outcomes of the National Executive Committee meetings, which took place over the weekend.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!