Lionel Messi confirms he will continue at Barcelona next season

Lionel Messi confirms he will continue at Barcelona next season

- Lionel Messi finally makes u-turn, confirms he will remain at Barcelona next season

- The six-time Ballon d'Or surprised the world after handing the Catalans his transfer request

- Clubs like Man City, PSG, Inter Milan and others were ready to break the bank for his signature

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

Barcelona fans can now heave a huge sigh of relief after their captain Lionel Messi confirms he will continue at the club next season.

The 33-year-old has been linked with a move away from Camp Nou with Manchester City tipped as a possible destination for the forward.

Inter Milan, Manchester United and a few other clubs also showed interest in the Argentine who has now decided to commit another season to the Catalan club.

"When I communicated my wish to leave to my wife and children, it was a brutal drama," Messi told Goal in an exclusive interview.
Judas Mabunda: Man opens up about being 1st in family to graduate
"The whole family began crying, my children did not want to leave Barcelona, nor did they want to change schools."

READ ALSO: Haibo: Busiswa shoots shot at her "crush" Kabza De Small

"But I looked further afield and I want to compete at the highest level, win titles, compete in the Champions League. You can win or lose in it, because it is very difficult, but you have to compete."
"At least compete for it and let us not fall apart in Rome, Liverpool, Lisbon. All that led me to think about that decision that I wanted to carry out."
"I thought and was sure that I was free to leave, the president always said that at the end of the season I could decide if I stayed or not."
Lionel Messi confirms he will continue at Barcelona next season amid exit links

Lionel Messi ready to don Barcelona jersey for another season despite being linked with a move away from Camp Nou - Getty Images
Source: UGC

"Now they cling to the fact that I did not say it before June 10, when it turns out that on June 10 we were competing for La Liga in the middle of this awful coronavirus and this disease altered all the season."
Father and son create beautiful wireworks, sell them to make a living

The six-time Ballon d'Or winner added that: "There was another way and it was to go to trial. "I would never go to court against Barca because it is the club that I love, which gave me everything since I arrived.

"It is the club of my life, I have made my life here. "Barca gave me everything and I gave it everything. I know that it never crossed my mind to take Barca to court."

READ ALSO: Mr Handsome roasts Rasta over portrait of actor Chadwick Boseman

Briefly.co.za earlier reported that Lionel Messi will remain Barcelona and La Liga's greatest player for many years before his goal-scoring record can be broken.

The 33-year-old caught his boyhood club unawares after handing a transfer request to end his almost 20-year spell with the club.

The Argentine superstar wants a new challenge elsewhere after having disputes with top club of officials due to their trophy-less 2019/20 campaign.

Couple builds own house in township after bank rejects home loan

In other news, New Barcelona boss Ronald Koeman reportedly aggravated Lionel Messi's decision to leave the club after the Dutcham told him his "privileges are over".

The Argentine has since then handed the Catalans his transfer request with Manchester City tipped as his next destination due to his relationship with pep Guardiola.

Messi has spent all his career at the Camp Nou but he was said to have send them a fax message about his decision to leave this summer despite having 12 months left on his deal.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel