- Andile Lungisa had an altercation with DA councillor Rano Kasyer in 2018 which led to him assaulting him with a glass jug.
- Lungisa made an appeal however it was rejected by the Supreme Court of Appeals
- The injuries Lungisa caused to Rano Kayser were potentially fatal
Andile Lungisa who is an ANC councillor and former youth league deputy president has been requested to report to the authorities within 48 hours of receiving his notice. According to the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), this is so that he can begin serving time for his transgressions.
In 2018, Lungisa was convicted for smashing a glass water jug on DA councillor Rano Kayser's head during an altercation in council during 2016. Lungisa was then sentenced to three years in prison for assault with the intent to do grievous bodily harm in 2018.
He made an appeal but it was rejected by the Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) on Wednesday in Bloemfontein. The SCA said that they had found no basis to interfere with the original sentence imposed by the trial court.
The SCA said in a statement that although Lungisa was a first time offender and he was well respected by his community, the crime that he had committed was serious and had significant consequences.
"He did not behave in a manner expected by the community of its councillors and failed to take responsibility for his actions. He had also shown a lack of remorse for what he had done."
It was also noted that Lungisa used a dangerous weapon when attacking the complainant on the temple -which is a sensitive part of the body, this caused injuries that were potentially fatal.
Briefly.co.za previously reported on Telkom owing 50 000 of its customers money. Former Telkom customers have been getting account statements from the communications company. Normally, any statement from Telkom normally tells customers what they owe. This time the shoe is on the other foot, Telkom is letting customers know that they owe them money. People were so shocked by the statements that were convinced that it was a scam.
Briefly.co.za learned that what made matters worse, is that the Telkom call centre had no idea about the statements. However, Telkom has confirmed that the company does owe some of its former customers, as many as 50 000, money. Mooketsi Mocumi, Telkom group communications executive, said that the statements have been sent to customers who cancelled their landlines but never collected their refunds according to Business Insider.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!