EFF celebrate as Cape members arrested outside Clicks set free

EFF celebrate as Cape members arrested outside Clicks set free

- The Economic Freedom Fighters has celebrated the release of 16 members who were arrested outside Clicks in Stellenbosch

- Judge AJ Sievers released the members on a warning and they will return to court on Monday

- EFF members had picketed outside the court in support of the members who took part in the protest action against the controversial TRESemmé advert

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

The Economic Freedom Fighters are celebrating the release of 16 members from jail on Saturday. They had been arrested outside a Clicks store during the nationwide protests against the racist ads.

The members were arrested for violating a court order outside Clicks at Eikestad Mall, Stellenbosch.

They were released on a warning and have been instructed to return to court on Monday.

The EFF had ordered its members to shut down Clicks stores in response to a TRESemmé advert which portrayed African hair as being "frizzy and dull" and white hair as being "normal".

Bheki Cele admits that there corrupt cops in the criminal world

Briefly.co.za learned that Unilever has issued an apology for the advert and has promised to create an advisory board and diversity committee in response.

“We were shocked to discover that we had supplied images for the Clicks website that portrayed black hair as inferior. This was racist and we apologise unreservedly,” Unilever said in a statement.

EFF celebrate as Cape members arrested outside Clicks set free

An EFF delegation and Unilver met to discuss the controversial TRESemmé advert. Photo credit: Instagram/effsouthafrica
Source: Instagram

READ ALSO: Somizi claps back over gifts to Mohale: "Am I using your Sassa grant?"

EFF supported had picketed outside the court while they waited for Judge AJ Sievers to deliver his ruling.

The EFF’s attorney, Stephan Osborne, said: “The accused addresses and other particulars was confirmed late on Friday afternoon so the only course available was to bring an application to the High Court to have them released,” said Osborne.
He added: “No charges are being dropped. The application was also brought on the fact there is Covid-19 regulations issued that the State rather releases people charged with minor offences because they are not adequately equipped.”
Zweli Mkhize dissolves Ministerial Advisory Committee without warning

Earlier, Briefly.co.za reported that the Economic Freedom Fighters have emerged the victors in their lengthy face-off against Clicks and later Unilever this week over the racially charged advert that prompted widespread outrage.

READ ALSO: Boity has gotten back in shape and is making all the boys thirsty

In a statement issued by the party, it expressed its gratitude to members and ground forces for the assistance in putting considerable pressure on the companies during the protests:

"The EFF extends its gratitude to the selfless and disciplined Commissars, Fighters and Ground Forces for waging a noble fight against the racism of multinational goods company Unilever and pharmaceutical retailer Clicks."

In other news, Somizi has taken to social media to share his two cents on the heated debate that the controversial Clicks advert has sparked in Mzansi.

Nomcebo Zikode: News Café vows to investigate singer's overcrowded show

The reality TV star took to Instagram on Monday, 7 September to express his views on the touchy subject, which has had social media abuzz for several days.

As expected, the star first expressed that he did not agree with Clicks' campaign. He also agreed that the ad was racist.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel