- ANC Councillor Andile Lungisa has until Thursday to hand himself over to correctional services
- The Nelson Mandela Bay politician has run out of time to avoid serving a three-year sentence
- However, his attorney has confirmed that he will continue to challenge the matter in court
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!
Nelson Mandela Bay ANC Councillor Andile Lungisa has been given 48 hours to present himself to correctional services to begin his two-year jail term for assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
The Justice Department has served notice on his office on Tuesday afternoon, confirming that Lungisa has until Thursday to hand himself over.
The ANC Councillor is attempting to appeal the matter in the Constitutional Court but it seems as if he is running out of time to avoid doing so while still a free man.
READ ALSO: Andile Lungisa served notice to start his 3-year jail sentence
SowetanLIVE spoke to the politician's lawyer, Alwyn Griebenow, who confirmed that the notice had been served as well as Lungisa's intention to fight against serving time.
Griebenow says that his office has filed the application for leave to appeal in the apex court as well as to apply for an extension on Lungisa's bail.
There seems to have been some confusion over the matter, with Lungisa and a group of former ANC Youth League leaders arriving at the High Court in Makhanda expecting to take part in a hearing over his bail.
It is believed that former ANCYL member Anber Mosaase had sparked the confusion by saying that the matter would be heard on the day, while Lungisa said he was simply there to file the papers.
Earlier, Briefly.co.za reported that in 2018, Lungisa was convicted for smashing a glass water jug on DA councillor Rano Kayser's head during an altercation in council during 2016.
Lungisa was then sentenced to three years in prison for assault with the intent to do grievous bodily harm in 2018.
He made an appeal but it was rejected by the Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) on Wednesday in Bloemfontein.
The SCA said that they had found no basis to interfere with the original sentence imposed by the trial court.
The SCA said in a statement that although Lungisa was a first-time offender and he was well respected by his community, the crime that he had committed was serious and had significant consequences.
"He did not behave in a manner expected by the community of its councillors and failed to take responsibility for his actions. He had also shown a lack of remorse for what he had done."
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!