- Health Minister Zweli Mkhize has disbanded the Ministerial Advisory Committee without warning to its members
- A letter was sent to members where Mkhize thanked them for their service, but new members of the MAC will assume duty soon
- Members stated that Mkhize had previously stated his intention to make these changes however names were not known until recently, so it came as a surprise
Minister of Health Dr. Zweli Mkhize has dissolved the government's chief scientific advisory committee on COVID-19. A letter was sent to members of the Ministerial Advisory Committee (MAC) on Friday 21 September, where Mkhize thanked the members for their dedication.
The letter says: "Your contribution has led to the containment of the COVID-19 pandemic in South Africa and the reduction of morality of the citizens of South Africa. The new members of the MAC will assume duty soon,"
The committee was started soon after the COVID-19 outbreak happened in South Africa during April. The chairman is Professor Salim Abdool Karim.
The minister's spokesperson, Lwazi Manzi says that Mkhize had announced the reorganisation of the MAC on 14 September 2020 as part of his daily press release regarding COVID-19 updates.
The press release from 14 September reads: "With the changing pattern of the pandemic, it has become necessary to reconfigure the Ministerial Advisory Committee on COVID-19. The new MAC will take into account the need for the inclusion of social and behavioural scientists amongst other factors."
However, Professor Francois Venter says that this was done without a warning. Mkhize had spoken about his intention to change up the MAC but the names were not made known until recently, so no one knew.
Briefly.co.za previously reported on how SASSA has lost R282 million to fraudsters over the past 5 years. Social Development Minister Lindiwe Zulu has revealed that millions have been looted from the SA Social Security Agency over the course of the past five years. Zulu explained that a total of 182 officials have been placed on suspension while only 76 were dismissed on charges of fraud during this time.
This came in response to a Parliamentary question from Economic Freedom Fighters MP Laetitia Arries, who had asked how many officials had looted SASSA funds over the last years.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!