- Cape Town residents experienced tremors following an earthquake report by the US Geological Survey
- Many residents including Ward Counillor Angus McKenzie reported feeling tremors in their areas
- A few people took to social media to ask others if they also felt the tremors in the Mother City
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!
Cape Town residents felt tremors on Saturday evening following a report by the US Geological Survey. According to a statement by the US Geological Survey, residents were warned to be extra careful in the next few hours.
The report declared: "After a magnitude 6.2 offshore earthquake struck at approximately 19:10 local time on 26 September."
A few hours after the report by the US Geological Survey, a number of Cape Town residents said that they were experiencing tremors in their respective areas. Ward Councillor Angus McKenzie also reported that he felt tremors for 10 seconds in his home.
Cape Town's Disaster Risk Management confirmed various reports from different suburbs of people experiencing the tremors, however, the City said that they were not in the right position to give a comment until it had been confirmed by the South African Council for Geoscience.
The Disaster Risk Management said in a statement on Saturday that the tremors did not seem to cause any damage to the infrastructure of public safety.
Social media users residing in Cape Town had a few comments about the tremors. With some asking if anyone else was feeling what they had just experienced.
@Dman_zn said: "No... this thing of earthquakes in Cape Town back to back, gives me no peace when we are so close to the Indian Ocean, one word, "Tsunami". #earthquake."
@oSuRG_ said: "Whoever stays in Cape Town, please tell me you felt that earthquake."
@mickey_K_G said: "Anyone else get that wave blast in cape town a few seconds ago?"
Briefly.co.za previously reported that President Cyril Ramaphosa cut back Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula's salary for three months. The Minister of Defence and Military Veterans Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula must surrender her salary for the next three months. This came to be after President Cyril Ramaphosa issued her a "formal reprimand".
Earlier in September, a number of ANC members including the secretary-general Ace Magashule embarked on a trip to Zimbabwe using a state-owned aircraft. Magashule has since admitted that the decision was the wrong one and said they would pay back the costs of the trip.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!