Over 600 000 South Africans have recovered after beating Covid-19

Over 600 000 South Africans have recovered after beating Covid-19

- South Africa can celebrate a huge milestone as over 600 000 citizens recover from Covid-19

- With only 51 304 people are confined to have the virus which is fewer than previous reports

- The number of new infections has continually been in decline since July when the virus was at its peak

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

Positive news surrounding Covid-19 is rare but South Africa can give itself a collective pat on the back after reports indicate that over 600 000 citizens have recovered from the virus.

Minister Zweli Mkhize confirmed that 601,818 people have successfully recovered after contracting the disease.

Briefly.co.za learned that since the figures were reported on Friday a further 2 600 people have recovered. The trend is moving in the right direction as Mkhize reported that only 969 new cases were confirmed.

Covid update: SA records 188 new coronavirus deaths after data delay

This means that for the past 68 days the number of new cases has been in decline since the virus was at its peak in July.

Only 51 304 people are currently confirmed as positive, which is actually 1 764 fewer than on Saturday.

Over 600 000 South Africans have recovered after beating Covid-19

Dr Zweli Mkhize has shared some good news about Covid-19 with South Africa. Photo credit: Facebook/South African Government
Source: Facebook

“Regrettably, we report 64 more Covid-19 related deaths: five from Eastern Cape, four from KwaZulu-Natal, 43 from Gauteng, 11 from Mpumalanga, and one from the Western Cape. This brings the total number of Covid-19 related deaths to 16,376,” Mkhize said.

Globally the recovery rate is at 96%, while South Africa can proudly boast a recovery rate of 98.4% according to Good Things Guy.

Earlier, Briefly.co.za reported that Minister of Health Dr. Zweli Mkhize has dissolved the government's chief scientific advisory committee on COVID-19. A letter was sent to members of the Ministerial Advisory Committee (MAC) on Friday 21 September, where Mkhize thanked the members for their dedication.

WHO expresses concern over the increase of COVID-19 cases in SA
The letter says: "Your contribution has led to the containment of the COVID-19 pandemic in South Africa and the reduction of morality of the citizens of South Africa. The new members of the MAC will assume duty soon,"

The committee was started soon after the COVID-19 outbreak that happened in South Africa during April. The chairman is Professor Salim Abdool Karim.

In other news, there has been an increase in numbers with regards to Covid-19 cases in South Africa over the last week. This came to be after the country went into Level 1 of the national lockdown. The World Health Organization verbalised their concern over the number of cases following a six per cent increase in South Africa over the last seven days.

When President Cyril Ramaphosa announced that the country would be entering Level 1 of the lockdown, he also warned South African citizens that there could be a second wave of the pandemic. With this, he also asked for SA citizens to remain vigilant and stay safe during this time.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel