- The IEC on Monday said the decision to reject ActionSA’s application was based on what it says is the party’s branding being too similar to that of another organisation
- There is a slight discrepancy regarding grounds for rejection but Herman Mashaba will be looking into it
- ActionSA says it has welcomed the IEC’s decision as it shows they are taking their job seriously
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!
The IEC hammered ActionSA’s political party application as they feel their logo is far too similar to other organisation's – the South African flag in the logo also raised an eyebrow.
ActionSA took the rejected application with pride as they do see where the IEC is coming from, especially in terms of the use of the South African flag.
The application was rejected on Monday and the IEC listed the Heraldry Act as one of their grounds for rejection.
“Furthermore, the proposed distinguishing mark or symbol of ActionSA contains the national flag as part of its emblem. Given that the national flag has been registered under the Heraldry Act 18 of 1962, no organisation, institution or concern, including a political party, may use the flag or a portion of the flag to form part of its emblem,” the electoral commission said.
Despite what the electoral commissioner had said on Monday, IEC Deputy CEO Masego Sheburi denied using the grounds of the Heraldry Act, on Tuesday.
“Reference to the Heraldry Act was just to assist the political party, it is not the basis on which we rejected the application.”
Despite the differences, ActionSA leader Herman Mashaba took the rejected application as a sign that the IEC was doing the job they are meant to and thus why he welcomed the rejection so openly. Mashaba will, however, be looking into the discrepancy so that they can understand what needs to be done from their side going forward.
“The contradiction between the IEC’s letter and their statement during their interview will be taken up by our legal teams handling our appeal so that we can receive written confirmation of the reversal of their position on this particular element of the matter. The change in the IEC’s position does serve to demonstrate that the IEC did not apply their mind sufficiently to our application and this will be taken up in our appeal.”
Briefly.co.za previously reported that the Zondo Commission has reportedly made its first arrests since it was launched in 2018. Businessman Edwin Sodi and two ANC officials have been arrested on Wednesday, 30 September as a result of evidence from the State Capture Inquiry.
It has been reported that Former Free State Human Settlements (FSHS) Department boss Nthimotse 'Tim' Mokhesi and former national Human Settlements director-general Thabane Zulu have been arrested by the Hawks alongside Sodi. They were nabbed for their alleged involvement in Free State’s R255 million unlawful asbestos audit project.
According to The South African, Sodi had testified on Tuesday that the Minister of Health, Dr Zweli Mkhize, the Minister of Employment and Labour, Thulas Nxesi, the Deputy Minister of State Security, Zizi Kodwa, and the Deputy Minister of Communications and Digital Technologies, Pinky Kekana, received payments from him between 2013 and 2019.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!