Ndabeni-Abrahams accused of giving private businessman R2.1bn deal

Ndabeni-Abrahams accused of giving private businessman R2.1bn deal

- Independent Media’s Special Investigations Unit has uncovered more irregularity by Communications Minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams

- Ndabeni-Abrahams was accused of manipulating procurement processes by a senior official at the SA Post Office to ensure private equity firm Convergence Partners, Andile Ngcaba, to the entity’s executives in an alleged bid to partner on a highly lucrative R2.1billion e-commerce platform

- Both Ndabeni-Abrahams and Ngcaba denied the claims of corruption that were made against them

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

Independent Media’s Special Investigations Unit has uncovered that Communications Minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams has been involved in a series of acts of corruption. Serious action is now being taken.

Ndabeni-Abrahams was accused of breaching procurement processes by senior officials at the SA Post Office in order to push deals in the direction she wanted them to go.

One of the big cases was when Ndabeni-Abrahams allegedly secured chairperson private equity firm Convergence Partners, Andile Ngcaba, a R2.1billion e-commerce platform called Combat Covid-19 Africa deal.

DA to refer Edwin Sodi ministerial beneficiaries to Ethics Committee

Ndabeni-Abrahams and Ngcaba denied all claims of corruption but have still been looked into. The accusations were made by a high ranking member who explained that in July, Ndabeni-Abrahams had allegedly introduced Ngcaba to the board in a friendlier setting.

Ndabeni-Abrahams accused of giving private businessman R2.1bn deal

Ndabeni-Abrahams was accused of manipulating procurement processes by a senior official at the SA Post Office to ensure private equity firm R2.1billion tender. Image: Ndabeni-Abrahams/Instagram.
Source: Twitter

outside of normal procurement processes and were told to partner with him and his company on the e-commerce platform called Combat Covid-19 Africa.

Ngcaba, who denied the allegations through his lawyers, said the presentation was at the invitation of the deputy director-general and was all legitimate. Ngcaba’s lawyer Eric Mabuza said that made the presentation in his capacity as a convener and leader of non-profit Combat Covid-19 Africa. Trying to prove his innocence, Ngcaba provided an email dated July 2, 2020, where he was asked to participate.

“Dr Ngcaba made this presentation in his capacity as a convener and leader of non-profit Combat Covid-19 Africa. Combat Covid-19 Africa does not have any commercial interests whatsoever.”
Zondo Commission makes 1st arrests, senior ANC member to be arrested
“It, therefore, follows that Combat Covid-19 Africa is not a service provider to Sapo or any other company.”

Ndabeni-Abrahams's spokesperson Mish Molakeng claims that it was internal correspondence between the minister and her department.

“Ngcaba then presented his e-commerce ecosystem, which was advocating for partnerships with Sapo to leverage on the African Continental Free Trade Agreement. The platform, according to Ngcaba, would eliminate the payment of tariffs on a large variety of goods traded between African countries.”

Ngcaba’s lawyer denied all claims of corruption and misconduct and have set forward to clear his name completely as this has tarnished it enough already.

"It is factually incorrect to claim that government data was supposed to be shared with Combat Covid-19 Africa when the presentation simply poses a question to the audience to see what competitive strategy can be used in the e-commerce space,” he said.

Briefly.co.za previously reported that Minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams has addressed South Africa over her lockdown lunch scandal.

Kuwait’s Emir Sheikh Sabah dies at 91 after surgery earlier this year

Apologising for her actions, Ndabeni-Abrahams accepted the punishment handed down by President Cyril Ramaphosa.

"I regret the incident and I am deeply sorry for my actions. I hope that the President and you, South Africans, will find it in your hearts to forgive me. The President has placed me on special leave and I undertake to abide by the conditions of the leave. I wish to use this opportunity to reiterate the President's call for all of us to observe the lockdown rules, they are a necessary intervention to curb the spread of the virus that has devastated many nations."

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel