Twitter faces backlash for defending Donald Trump over death wishes

Twitter faces backlash for defending Donald Trump over death wishes

- Social media platform Twitter has faced criticism for releasing a statement about suspending users over death threats after Trump's COVID-19 diagnosis

- Users were upset over the statement as many people on the platform have received death threats but Twitter did not react in the same manner

- Twitter says they will suspend users over harmful messages but will not be acting on every single message

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

Twitter has been facing tons of backlash after issuing a statement in US President Donald Trump's defense. Following Trump's Coronavirus diagnosis, there were Twitter users who wished that the disease would kill him. This caused a response from Twitter against harmful messages that act against their policies and community guidelines.

The statement by Twitter said: "Content that wishes, hopes or expresses a desire for death, serious bodily harm or fatal disease against an individual is against our rules,”
Fact check: ‘Most learners fail' quote not from SA government

This rule also applies to those who wish for Trump's demise and downfall.

Twitter faces backlash for defending Donald Trump over death threats

Social media platform Twitter faces backlash for defending Donald Trump over death threats he has received. (Photo by Olivier Douliery - Pool/Getty Images)
Source: Getty Images

The statement from Twitter rubbed many of its users the wrong way. This was including certain American lawmakers who said that many other people have received death threats on the platform. Except they have not been defended the same way as Trump.

US House Candidate Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez responded on Twitter: "So... you mean to tell us you could‘ve done this the whole time?"

Some users were unimpressed with Twitter for their statement. Evan Greer, a transgender woman who is the primary spokesperson for digital rights organisation Fight For the Future, said that she receives death threats on Twitter on a weekly basis but nothing has been done for her in that regard.

Twitter said that the statement has existed since April and they will be suspending some users but will not be acting on every single harmful tweet. Twitter's policy is different from Facebook's which allows for statements against Trump as long as he is not tagged.

Freaked-out woman films suspicious van following her, video goes viral

Briefly.co.za previously reported on the world's reaction to Donald Trump's COVID-19 diagnosis. President of the United States of America Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump have both tested positive for Covid-19. Trump made the announcement on Friday, October 2, just hours after it was reported that one of his senior aides, identified as Hope Hicks, had contracted the virus. Social media blew up after the US President confirmed he and his wife were going to quarantine after testing positive.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel