Minister Ndabeni-Abrahams' WhatsApp hacked: Investigation underway

Minister Ndabeni-Abrahams' WhatsApp hacked: Investigation underway

- Minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams' WhatsApp account has been hacked by unknown individuals

- The Communications and Digital Technologies Minister's situation was confirmed by her department on Monday

- The government warned that information obtained through illicit means would be illegal to distribute

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

Communications and Digital Technologies Minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams' WhatsApp account has been targeted by hackers.

The Department issued a statement on Monday confirming that Ndabeni Abrahams' account had been hacked.

Spokesperson Mish Molakeng explained that the Minister's private and confidential information was now in the hands of the unknown hackers:

“This illegal activity has been reported to relevant authorities and platform owners for action."
Minister Ndabeni-Abrahams' WhatsApp hacked: Investigation underway

Minister Ndabeni-Abrahams' WhatsApp has been hacked. Image: GovernmentZA/ Flickr
Source: UGC

Molakeng warned that situations like this remain a crime, commenting further that:

“Obtaining and distributing information that is illegally obtained is a crime and offenders will be reported to legal authorities.”
Covid-19 update: Jessie Duarte's brother dies after contracting virus

The matter is currently being investigated, according to the department, said Molakeng.

In other news, Briefly.co.za reported that Independent Media’s Special Investigations Unit has uncovered that Ndabeni-Abrahams has been involved in a series of acts of corruption. Serious action is now being taken.

Ndabeni-Abrahams was accused of breaching procurement processes by senior officials at the SA Post Office in order to push deals in the direction she wanted them to go.

One of the big cases was when Ndabeni-Abrahams allegedly secured chairperson private equity firm Convergence Partners, Andile Ngcaba, an R2.1billion e-commerce platform called Combat Covid-19 Africa deal.

Ndabeni-Abrahams and Ngcaba denied all claims of corruption but have still been looked into. The accusations were made by a high ranking member who explained that in July, Ndabeni-Abrahams had allegedly introduced Ngcaba to the board in a friendlier setting.

Ngcaba, who denied the allegations through his lawyers, said the presentation was at the invitation of the deputy director-general and was all legitimate. Ngcaba’s lawyer Eric Mabuza said that made the presentation in his capacity as a convener and leader of non-profit Combat Covid-19 Africa.

South Africa's COVID-19 death toll has decreased in the past days

Trying to prove his innocence, Ngcaba provided an email dated July 2, 2020, where he was asked to participate.

“Dr Ngcaba made this presentation in his capacity as a convener and leader of non-profit Combat Covid-19 Africa. Combat Covid-19 Africa does not have any commercial interests whatsoever.
“It, therefore, follows that Combat Covid-19 Africa is not a service provider to Sapo or any other company.”

Ndabeni-Abrahams's spokesperson Mish Molakeng claims that it was internal correspondence between the minister and her department.

“Ngcaba then presented his e-commerce ecosystem, which was advocating for partnerships with Sapo to leverage on the African Continental Free Trade Agreement. The platform, according to Ngcaba, would eliminate the payment of tariffs on a large variety of goods traded between African countries.”

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel