Hawks seize luxury ride worth R1.5m from municipal worker

Hawks seize luxury ride worth R1.5m from municipal worker

- The Hawks and National Prosecuting Authority have collaborated to seize a Mercedes Benz GLE

- The luxury ride, worth over a million, belongs to the wife of a municipal official and was confiscated on Tuesday

- The car is believed to be the proceeds of unlawful activities, according to an official

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

The Hawks and National Prosecuting Authority have moved in to seize a Mercedes Benz GLE from the possession of the wife of a municipal official.

The incident took place on Tuesday morning with NPA spokesperson Mashudu Malabi-Dzhangi commenting that the vehicle of municipality deputy manager of technical services David Kgantshi's wife had been seized in line with a High Court order.

Malabi-Dzhangi revealed that the vehicle is believed to be the proceeds of crime, namely extortion and money laundering linked to the Mogalakwena Local Municipality official.

Malema says he is willing to cooperate with State Capture Inquiry
coronavirus

The luxury vehicle was seized in a joint operation between the Hawks and NPA on Tuesday. Image: SAPS/ Facebook
Source: UGC

In a statement on the incident, the spokesperson commented further that court papers had revealed that a number of service providers under the employ of the company had allegedly been coerced into paying money to a Polokwane dealership for the purchase of the vehicle.

Malepa is accused of threatening the service providers to pay funds into the account, otherwise, he would not authorise payments for work done:

"The service providers paid the total amount of R1.4m to Mercurius Motors for the purchase of the said Mercedes Benz motor vehicle. David Kgantshi Malepa registered the Mercedes Benz motor vehicle in the name of his wife, who is employed as a teacher by the Department of Basic Education."

Earlier, Briefly.co.za reported that the Hawks are very busy lately, they have arrested two suspects who were linked to alleged fraudulent activities during the 2010 Soccer World Cup.

In addition, a former KwaZulu-Natal police commissioner, as well as a captain in the police, have told the police they will hand themselves in on Monday.

Senekal protest: 2nd suspect arrested over unrest outside court

The two who have already been arrested are Thoshan Panday, a Durban businessman, and police Colonel Navin Madhoe. According to SABC the arrests are linked to a R47-million tender from the Soccer World Cup which was hosted in South Africa.

Panday was released on bail after paying R100 000 and Madhoe paid R10 000. NPA spokesperson Sipho Ngwema says,

“Indeed the investigating Directorate has two outstanding warrants of arrest, one for a police captain and former police commissioner in KZN. This is in connection with a R47 million corruption matter – which is connected to the World Cup 2010 activities in KwaZulu-Natal.”

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel