'Hands off Ace Magashule': ANCYL division marches to Luthuli House

'Hands off Ace Magashule': ANCYL division marches to Luthuli House

- The Hawks themselves have distanced themselves from rumours that an arrest warrant for Ace Magashule has been issued

- Nevertheless, the ANC secretary-general's supporters made sure their feelings on the situation clear

- A group gathered outside of the ANC Luthuli House headquarters to protest in Magashule's defence

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

A group of African National Congress members gathered near the Luthuli House headquarters on Wednesday.

The protestors brandished banners saying 'Hands off Ace Magashule' in the secretary-general's defence.

A motorcade of Magashule's followers congregated at the Grasmere Toll Plaza, slowly driving the convoy to deliver a memorandum of grievances detailing their issues with how Magashule was being handled.

The National Prosecuting Authority has remained silent on rumours that an arrest warrant had been issued against Magashule in relation to tender corruption.

Malema says he is willing to cooperate with State Capture Inquiry
'Hands off Ace Magashule': ANCYL division marches to Luthuli House

ANCYL members marched to party headquarters in support of Magashule. Image: Twitter/ @ANCYL
Source: UGC

eNCA reports that ANC spokesperson Pule Mabe has responded to the allegations by urging members to use party structures to resolve internal issues:

"You will remember it was us in the ANC who came out to speak on a rumour that would have suggested that the secretary-general was going to be arrested, and indeed the SG, together with his legal team have also come out in the open to clarify that there was no warrant of arrest. There was no need really for the ANC to still be making commentary on that matter because we felt that it was sufficiently resolved."

Earlier, Briefly.co.za reported that Ace Magashule and his lawyer say they have no idea whether or not a warrant of arrest against the politician has been granted after rumours of a Hawks clampdown circulated on Tuesday.

Victor Nkhwashu, the ANC secretary-general's lawyer, explained that they had not been informed of an impending arrest:

Julius Malema gives EFF in Senekal orders: 'March into town'
"We have not been informed about a warrant of arrest issued against our client. Save for the news article that is circulating in the media."

Nkhwashu is said to have reached out to both the Hawks and the National Prosecuting Authority for more information, while the Hawks have denied any issuing of a warrant against Magashule, reports News24.

Hawks spokesperson Hangwani Mulaudzi has dubbed the information as fake, commenting that perhaps there is 'another Hawks we are not aware of'.

Magashule has been in the spotlight over links to questionable deals in the Free State province from his time as Premier.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel