FG speaks on Nigerian burnt alive in Tripoli, condemns the act

FG speaks on Nigerian burnt alive in Tripoli, condemns the act

- The federal government has reacted to the burning of a Nigerian in Libya by three men at a factory

- In a press release by NIDCOM on Thursday, October 8, Abike said the culprits must be brought to book

- As at the time of writing this report, the identity of the deceased has not been revealed

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

The federal government through the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) has strongly condemned the killing of a Nigerian in Tripoli, Libya at a factory.

The commission’s boss, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, said that the dastardly act of setting the person on fire alive is a bestial thing to do.

It should be noted that CNN earlier reported about the situation, saying three men carried out the act at a factory.

Abike, therefore, asked the foreign country to get to the root of the matter and make whoever/people involved face the full wrath of the law.

Senzo Meyiwa: Police uncover firearm, suspects in murder case

NIDCOM, however, noted that the Libyan interior minister had earlier spoken on the issue as he also condemned the incident.

Also worthy of note is that the identity of the deceased Nigerian is yet unknown. Interrogations of the suspects are ongoing as they are in custody.

Read the press release below:

Earlier, Briefly.co.za reported that a top-tier police official was nabbed during a raid on her home in Johannesburg during a pre-dawn operation carried out on Monday morning. In a statement issued on the matter, Investigating Directorate spokesperson Sindisiwe Twala commented that this is the 13th accused set to appear in the Palm Ridge Magistrate's Court on charges of corruption, fraud, theft and even money laundering:

"Her arrest and appearance relate to the supply of emergency warning equipment for the South African Police Service in 2017. The contract price and exposure to the police fiscus was R191 million. However, R65 million was paid to the service provider. The payment of R22 million was stopped at the advanced stage of the ID's investigation into the matter."

Senekal protest: 2nd suspect arrested over unrest outside court

News24 reports that a number of police officers have been taken into custody, including former acting national police commissioner Khomotso Phahlane, former Gauteng police commissioner Deliwe de Lange, Gauteng deputy police commissioner Nombhuruza Lettie Napo and a string of other top cops.

The civilians arrested include millionaire Vimpie Manthatha, who owns Instrumentation for Traffic Law Enforcement.

Manthatha's company had been awarded a contract to provide blue lights, sirens and radios to the South African Police Service for vehicles.

The suspect had allegedly supplied fraudulent tax clearance certificates to the SAPS in tender documents submitted at the beginning of the bidding process.

A collage of Abike Dabiri and a random picture of Tripoli.
Photo source: BusinessDay/GettyImages

Abike Dabiri Abike has asked the Libyan government to get to the root of the matter Photo source: BusinessDay/GettyImages
Source: UGC

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel