- South Africa has recorded 1 928 new cases of COVID-19, taking the total number of confirmed cases up to 702 131
- The death toll stands at 18 408 after 38 new COVID-19 related deaths were confirmed
- Health Minister Dr. Zweli Mkhize continues to urge South Africans to follow the appropriate health and safety measures to protect themselves from being infected
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!
On Saturday evening, Minister of Health Dr. Zweli Mkhize updated South Africa with the latest COVID-19 statistics. According to the report, there are 1 928 new cases of COVID-19. This takes the total number of confirmed cases to 702 131.
38 new deaths were confirmed. Bringing the total number of COVID-19 fatalities in South Africa to 18 408.
The total number of recoveries from COVID-19 now stands at 630 436 which means that the recovery rate is standing at 90%.
South Africa now has just over 53 287 active cases of the virus. Over 4.5 million Coronavirus tests have been conducted.
Dr. Zweli Mkhize continues to urge South Africans to protect themselves from the Coronavirus. He said that it is important that we continue to observe the prescribed safety precautions on Twitter.
During this week Mkhize said: "Maintaining regular hand hygiene is important in preventing the spread of COVID-19. Wash your hands with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer."
In other news, Briefly.co.za previously reported that religious leaders were pleading with congregants to be careful of COVID-19. Religious leaders have warned congregants to be careful and avoid a second wave of COVID-19. Since going into Level 1 of the national lockdown, regulations regarding gatherings changed. Under the Level 1 regulations of lockdown, religious gatherings are limited to 250 people indoors and 500 people outdoors.
Participants are required to adhere to social distancing and no more than 50% of a venue can be used. A statement that was issued by the South African Jewish Communal Leadership warned congregants that there were 31 new cases in the Johannesburg Jewish community. The statement was issued by the Office of the Chief Rabbi, the South African Jewish Board of Deputies, Professor Barry Schoub, Dr Richard Friedland and Professor Efraim Kramer.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!