Senzo Meyiwa: Footballer's family reveals who they think shot him

Senzo Meyiwa: Footballer's family reveals who they think shot him

- The family of Senzo Meyiwa is certain they know who murdered the footballer

- His family reacted to news that the SAPS found a gun they believed had been used in his murder

- According to his cousin, Siyabonga Miya, they believe Senzo was shot by a man known allegedly as "Zandile’s boyfriend"

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

After six years, the police have reportedly made a breakthrough in the Senzo Meyiwa murder investigation after finding a gun which they believe belonged to his killer.

However, the slain footballer's family is certain they already know who pulled the trigger that killed the Orlando Pirates and Bafana Bafana goalkeeper.

Briefly.co.za noted that recent report claims that police have identified the man who allegedly fired the shots which would result in Meyiwa's death in October 2014.

Isibaya cast & crew say goodbye to Siyabonga Thwala, aka Mpiyakhe Zungu

A senior police official involved in the case explained that the firearm and the identity of the man accused of pulling the trigger, were crucial to the investigations and signalled his hope that this would help solve the 'complex' case.

However, his family believes that they already know who the guilty person is. While speaking to Newzroom Afrika on Tuesday, 20 October, his cousin, Siyabonga Miya, pointed the finger at who they think murdered Meyiwa. IOL also reported on the claim made by Siyabonga Miya and his family.

Senzo Meyiwa: Footballer's family reveals who they think shot him

Senzo Meyiwa during the Orlando Pirates training session at Rand Stadium on August 16, 2012 in Johannesburg. Photo: Lee Warren / Gallo Images / Getty Images.
Source: Getty Images

Miya said that a phonecall made by Meyiwa’s friend Tumelo Madlala shortly after the incident implicated a man known as "Zandile’s boyfriend".

"And then in the background, Kelly was crying saying, ‘Kodwa ngizothini ku ma kaSenzo (what will I say to Senzo’s mom)’,” Miya said.

Miya said the information was provided to the cops but they did not take the man into custody and he added he doesn't know why. The South African reported that Miya added:

Senekal trial: SA in stitches over farmer's struggle with English
"You can quote me on that one. Zandi’s boyfriend shot and killed Senzo Meyiwa in cold blood."

News24 reported Bheki Cele has since reacted to their discovery making headlines in newspapers across the country.

The Police Minister declined to comment on reports that the gun had been found and added that "it shouldn't make the news."

After news of the cops' breakthrough went viral, South African citizens saw Senzo's name trending on social media as they expressed their frustration and outrage over the progress of the investigation.

Numerous citizens felt that the matter was being used as a political tool or a PR stunt and weren't shy about voicing this opinion. One user pointed out that elections for local government are fast approaching and this may have fuelled the sudden update:

"A part of me does not trust this story that the police found Senzo Meyiwa's murder weapon. ANC elections are very close and people like Bheki Cele are pulling stunts to appear like they are actually doing the job while in reality there are not. Cele might be conning us."
SA laughing out loud over Malema hinting he can do karate: "Hiyaaa"

Thus far, no arrests have been made and the police have not released the name of the suspect they believe the gun belonged to.

In other news, a group of Nigerians living in South Africa gathered on Wednesday to protest against the current unrest in the country. The group will be marching to the Nigerian High Commission in Pretoria, determined to protest against the injustice despite being so far from home.

Ayo Songuro, a lawyer living in SA, participated in the demonstration and commented that:

"Tomorrow morning (Wednesday) we take the protest to the Nigerian High Commission here. If the government thinks it can ban protesters at home, then we will take up the baton and protest across the world."

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel