- On Thursday, Dr. Zweli Mkhize released a statement that said there was a 42% increase in COVID-19 cases in the Western Cape
- Western Cape premier Alan Winde rubbished Mkhize's statement and said that the information he had provided was reckless
- Citizens however are urged to remain vigilant and continue following hygiene protocols and measures to fight the pandemic
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!
Earlier in the week, Health Minister Dr. Zweli Mkhize released a statement saying that there was a 42% increase in new COVID-19 cases in the Western Cape. The Western Cape premier Alan Winde slammed the statement and said that the province has worked "damn hard" to survive the pandemic.
On Friday, Winde said: "Well quite frankly, the minister was reckless."
As he was answering questions during his special speech in the legislature on Thursday, Winde said that the province has been praised for how they managed the pandemic and had managed to reduce the number of new cases.
He also said that the information provided by the health minister was inaccurate and there was actually a 13% increase in new cases. He also said that residents should continue being careful by social distancing and other health protocols.
He went on to say about Dr. Zweli Mkhize's statement: "I don't know where he cooked that up."
The statement by the health minister also said that there were specific COVID-19 clusters that were responsible for the increase in cases in the Western Cape. He also urged South Africans to remain vigilant.
In other news, Briefly.co.za previously reported that President Cyril Ramaphosa warned the African Union against a second wave of COVID-19 cases. President Cyril Ramaphosa has addressed African nations as the chairperson African Union, warning against a second wave in Covid-19 cases.
Ramaphosa urged countries to avoid a surge of infections which could necessitate a more strict lockdown:
“The pandemic has shown a great deal of resilience and countries that have experienced a decline in infections have also encountered surges in infections, which has made them revisit the lockdown measures."
This scenario, Ramaphosa explained, must be avoided at all costs despite optimism that the continent will manage to avoid it at all costs.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!