- Elif Perincek, a three-year-old girl from Turkey, got trapped under rubble following a devastating earthquake
- Her mother and Elif's three siblings also got trapped after their apartment complex was brought down
- The three-year-old's mum and siblings were pulled out of the debris 23 hours after the building collapsed
- Elif was rescued 65 hours after the incident
A three-year-old girl from Turkey who got stuck under a rubble after a violent earthquake has been rescued.
The earthquake of magnitude 6.6 hit parts of Turkey and Greece.
According to Anadolu Agency, Elif Perincek was trapped under a collapsed apartment complex for 65 hours.
The country’s health minister Fahrettin Koca said Elif’s mum and her other three children were rescued nearly a day after their building was brought down.
It is understood the three-year-old survivor was wounded in the commotion.
Elif, who was the 106th person to be dragged from debris, was immediately rushed to hospital.
Muammer Celik, the firefighter who lead in Elif’s rescue operation, said the little girl grabbed his finger as he was sorting through the debris.
“That child deserves to live to the end," he said.
The violent quake which happened on Friday, October 30, claimed dozens of lives and left hundreds of locals injured.
As previously reported by Briefly.co.za, an earth tremor hit several parts of Mombasa and the neighbouring areas at 8:15pm Wednesday, August 12. The tremor was reportedly an after-effect of an earthquake of magnitude 6 which rocked parts of Dar es Salaam on Wednesday.
According to a user who spoke to Volcano Discovery, the earthquake in Tanzania came in two waves; first, there was "around 8 to 10 seconds of vibration and then a 2-second long shook [sic]".
In Kenya, many online users majorly from Mombasa took to social media to confirm they experienced the tremor.
"Was that an earth tremor?" a Twitter user identified as AbuSakeena wrote.
Briefly.co.za had also previously reported that Cape Town recently experienced tremors following an earthquake report by the US Geological Survey. Experts now believe that the earthquake was only the start and the Mother City can expect another, bigger one. According to their findings, the earthquake will cost Cape Town at least R10 billion.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!