Minister Jackson Mthembu says Cabinet is concerned about the reckless behaviour of some citizens amid the Covid-19 crisis. Briefly.co.za explores the latest updates on the coronavirus pandemic.
Minister in the Presidency Jackson Mthembu has raised the government's concerns over the behaviour of some amid the continued threat posed by Covid-19.
This comment comes as numerous nations opt to enter into a second national lockdown as infections rise once more.
Briefly.co.za explores the latest information on the pandemic below:
1. Reckless behaviour prompts Cabinet to reconsider lockdown regulations
Presidency Minister Jackson Mthembu says that the behaviour of some South Africans as if Covid-19 no longer exists is a major cause for concern for Cabinet.
Mthembu explained that the nation's greatest defence in protecting itself from the virus is consistent and considerate behaviour.
The Minister acknowledged that the conduct of some citizens had prompted government to review its current strategy concerning the national lockdown.
Mthembu called upon citizens to continue exercising preventative measures in a bid to limit the spread of the virus:
“Cabinet calls on all people in South Africa to continue adhering to the health protocols of practising social distancing, wearing masks all the time, wearing them in public and washing our hands with water and soap or an alcohol-based sanitiser.”
2. Mkhize on latest statistics
Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize has updated the nation on the latest statistics amid the Covid-19 pandemic.
In a statement issued by the Health Ministry on Thursday evening, Mkhize commented that:
"As of today, the cumulative number of detected COVID-19 cases is 732 414 with 1 866 new cases identified since the last report."
In addition to the increase in infections, Mkhize commented that a number of deaths had been recorded:
"Regrettably, we report 92 COVID-19 related deaths today: 27 from Eastern Cape, 7 from Gauteng, 17 from the Free State, 4 from KwaZulu Natal, 1 from Mpumalanga, 23 from North West, 8 from Northern Cape and 5 from Western Cape. This brings the total number of COVID-19 related deaths to 19 677."
The Minister also noted that recoveries now stand at 671 579 which translates to a recovery rate of 91,7%.
Earlier, Briefly.co.za reported Prime Minister Boris Johnson has abandoned a newly-introduced system of regional restrictions in favour of a national shutdown.
Johnson warned that hospitals may soon be overwhelmed by infections while the death toll is hitting the highest numbers in six-months.
The lockdown has public backing but concerns are now being raised over the impact on the economy.
The Prime Minister announced that the lockdown will end 'automatically' on December 2 at which point the nation will adopt a tiered system of restrictions much like SA's own approach
. Johnson explained that other nations are suffering due to the pandemic, a risk he isn't willing to take:
"When I look at what is happening now among some of our continental friends, and I see doctors who have tested positive being ordered to work on COVID wards and patients airlifted to hospital in some other countries simply to make space, I can reach only one conclusion. I'm not prepared to take the risk with the lives of the British people."
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!