- A number of cabinet members have still not signed the performance agreements that President Cyril Ramaphosa said would be signed before the end of February
- Minister in the Presidency Jackson Mthembu said that the process would be done before the end of October
- DA spokesperson Solly Malatsi has insinuated that the agreements not being signed indicates that there are cabinet members who do not want to sign them
Nine months ago, President Cyril Ramaphosa made a promise to enter into performance agreements with cabinet members to increase accountability from them. A number of these agreements have still not been signed by certain cabinet members.
Minister in the Presidency, Jackson Mthembu said previously that this process would be done before the end of October. However, it has still not been done.
"We thought that they would be concluded last week but they have not been concluded. There are still colleagues that will be signing their agreements this coming Friday,” he said.
Mthembu said that once they are completed, the performance agreements would be made public to fellow South Africans.
"The president is still committed to making the ministerial performance agreements public," said Mthembu.
A spokesperson for the Democratic Alliance (DA), Solly Malatsi said that there was a lack of will around the signing of the performance agreements since they had still not been signed by some.
“It's not difficult to finalise a performance agreement and the postponements signal that they may be ministers who don't want to sign these agreements,” he said.
During his state of the nation address in February, President Cyril Ramaphosa said that the performance agreements would be signed before the end of that month. Ramaphosa said that the performance agreements would be a cornerstone of a new culture of transparency and accountability.
Briefly.co.za previously reported that "Reckless behaviour" has the Cabinet rethinking lockdown. Minister in the Presidency Jackson Mthembu has raised the government's concerns over the behaviour of some amid the continued threat posed by Covid-19. This comment comes as numerous nations opt to enter into a second national lockdown as infections rise once more.
Presidency Minister Jackson Mthembu says that the behaviour of some South Africans as if Covid-19 no longer exists is a major cause for concern for Cabinet.Mthembu explained that the nation's greatest defence in protecting itself from the virus is consistent and considerate behaviour.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!