- A local woman was allegedly conned out of almost R2.1 million by an estate agent
- Pathmavathi Moodley, 72, trusted Martha O’Reilly with her life savings and was left with nothing after her investment allegedly turned out to be a scam
- O’Reilly is facing 57 counts of fraud relating to the case involving Pathmavathi Moodley
Pathmavathi Moodley, 72, has been left destitute after she fell victim to a scam allegedly orchestrated by Martha O’Reilly, an estate agent who defrauded her of R2.1 million.
Moodley was looking to buy a dream home in the upmarket area of Mount Edgecombe, north of Durban in the Kindlewood Estate. The home was priced at R3 million.
This was more than she could afford and the deal fell through, O’Reillywho worked for Tyson Properties at the time promised Moodley that she would find her an equally nice home.
O’Reilly convinced her to transfer the proceeds from the sale of her home to a trust account which actually turned out to be O’Reilly's personal account according to IOL.
Moodley said that she had made 10 cash transfers in the presence of O’Reilly at an ATM but believes O’Reilly gained access to her account via the internet as 57 cash transfers were recorded ranging from R148 000 to R2 500.
Moodley approached the police when she became suspicious of the estate agent. O'Reilly has been charged with 57 counts of fraud relating the funds she received from Moodley.
She has already been charged with fraud relating to another case in which she used a similar tactic to enrich herself at her client's expense.
IOL reported that O-Reilly appeared at Durban Magistrate’s Court last week where she was charged with 57 counts of fraud, all related to the R2 091 214 she allegedly stole from Moodley.
When searching the Estate Agency Affairs Board website for O'Reilly's Fidelity Fund Certificate, which each estate agent must have to legally sell or rent (long and short term rentals), it showed no results under her name.
“Whenever JP Smith is looking for a scapegoat, he looks to me. I don’t know what alcohol he drinks,” he said speaking at a crime imbizo on Saturday.
The police have been struggling to keep the rate of crime under control in Cape Town and have faced harsh criticism from the DA leaders. Bheki Cele hosted an imbizo at the Langa Sports Complex to communicate with residents about crime and what the police were going to do about it.
In other news, a former bodyguard accused of stealing a painting from the office of Ace Magashule during his time as premier of the Free State claims that the ANC secretary-general had gifted it to him. The case, against Ricardo Metler, is being heard in the Free State High Court based in Bloemfontein and involves a JH Pierneef painting which was removed from Magashule's office two years ago.
The painting belongs to the Free State government and was valued at around R8 million at the time of its disappearance.
But the former bodyguard insists that Magashule had given it to him, along with other gifts, when he had left the premier's office.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!