Hands off Ace Magashule: SA reacts to secretary general's warrant of arrest

Hands off Ace Magashule: SA reacts to secretary general's warrant of arrest

- Locals have recently taken to Twitter to express themselves over the warrant of arrest that has been issued for Ace Magashule

- #HandsOffAceMagashule subsequently started trending as some South Africans sided with the ANC politician

- A lot of Twitter users however expressed disgust at the use of the hashtag, comparing it to the movement behind Shepherd Bushiri

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

South African ANC secretary-general Ace Magashule has been the topic of many conversations since a Scorpio report revealed that he had been issued an official warrant of arrest. Magashule finds himself at the centre of an R255 million Free State asbestos audit contract.

Since the scandal first broke, angry South Africans have called on the secretary-general to be arrested, which Magashule was able to dodge. It seems however his time is up, as he may have to face the music.

Report: Ace Magashule's warrant of arrest 'really' issued this time

This however seems to be something that not every South African citizen is happy about, a fact that became clear after the hashtag, #HandsOffAceMagashule started trending on the microblogging app, Twitter after the announcement of the news.

While a few people support Magashule, a lot of others questioned the hashtag, comparing Magashule supporters to those of Shepherd Bushiri and his wife Mary's followers. Read a few of the tweets around the hashtag below.

@shumani8m said:

"I am now beginning to understand that the problem we have in this country is not the government..we ordinary South Africans are the problem..how can one defend a criminal..we will never overcome corruption. #handsoffacemagashule."

@desmond_mohale said:

"I can't support someone who has been implicated by so many people for wrong doing doing. If Ace is really clean then the courts will clear him. Needy blacks again supporting someone who's alleged to have stolen from them. What a disgrace. Let him account. #handsoffacemagashule"
SA shares disappointed reactions to poorly tarred roads, blames govt

Meanwhile, ANC veteran Carl Niehaus had this to say:

"All Roads Lead To Mangaung on Friday. Together with our comrades will be at the Bloemfonein magistrate’s court to support the #SecretaryGeneral of @MYANC, comrade @Magashule_Ace #handsoffAceMagashule"
Mzansi share thoughts on Ace Magashule warrant of arrest

Hands off Ace Magashule trends on Twitter following warrant of arrest. Source: @Magashule_Ace/Twitter
Source: Twitter

Earlier this week Briefly.co.za reported that ANC secretary-general Ace Magashule was reportedly set to be arrested and charged for his alleged links to the R255 million Free State asbestos audit contract. Pieter-Louis Myburgh, the journalist who penned the Scorpio report, quipped that:

"A warrant of arrest has been issued for the ANC’s secretary-general, Ace Magashule, in connection to the R255-million asbestos audit contract in the Free State. This time it is for real, we don't do fake news."

Upon hearing of the arrest warrant, Magashule, who was campaigning for the ANC in Ward 130 said:

"I have not done anything wrong, I am a law-abiding citizen."

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel