- Fresh reports claim President Donald Trump has not given up on his presidential ambitions
- Several reports are linking Trump to another shot at the presidency
- The president has faulted the US presidential election which projected that he lost to Joe Biden
Emerging reports claim that President Donald Trump has told his close associates that he is considering contesting in the US presidential election in 2024.
Though the president has not openly made any statement about launching another presidential bid, several reports have claimed that he has been talking about it with his close circle.
Mick Mulvaney, Trump’s former acting chief of staff, said he expects the president to run again in 2024.
Reuters, citing a source who was not named, stated that Trump told his allies that he may announce his 2024 presidential bid by the end of the year.
The former presidential aide stated that the president doesn’t like losing. He said:
"Now, I think folks are starting to realise that if Donald Trump loses, he might be the guy to run in 2024, and I'm telling you absolutely. I would absolutely expect the president to stay involved in politics and would absolutely put him on a shortlist of people who are likely to run in 2024. He doesn't like losing."
Mulvaney hinged his argument of a Trump presidential comeback on the fact that the president technically will be younger than Joe Biden is now four years from now.
Trump has continued to question the legitimacy of the US presidential election in which projected Joe Biden was projected as the winner. Under the US constitution, a person can serve as president for a maximum of two four-year terms but the terms do not have to be consecutive.
Meanwhile, the projected winner of the United States' 2020 presidential election, Joe Biden, has Ron Klein as his chief of staff.
Al Jazeera reported that Biden who is yet to be officially certified as the winner is committed to building his administration even as President Trump refuses to accept the election results and concede defeat.
The newly appointed chief of staff, Klain, had earlier served as Biden’s chief of staff when the 77-year-old was vice president under President Barack Obama.
In similar Briefly.co.za news, United States of America Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is the latest of President Donald Trump's allies to reject the country's presidential election results where Democrat Joe Biden is the projected winner.
Speaking to reporters on Tuesday, November 10, Pompeo, without giving substantial evidence, even suggested the Republican leader had defeated the Democrat in the highly-contested election.
Pompeo said there would be a "smooth transition" to a second Trump administration while insisting every legal vote must count, Politico reported.
“There will be a smooth transition to a second Trump administration. When the process is complete, there will be electors selected. There’s a process. The Constitution lays it out pretty clearly.”
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!