Football is the most popular sport in the world and has given the world some its biggest superstars. The best players in the world are paid vast sums of money.
While players earn their salaries on the field the real money for most of the world’s elite footballers (and other athletes) lie in their endorsement deals.
Some of these endorsement deals can run into hundreds of millions of US dollars and have in certain cases done as much for a player’s fame as his on-field antics.
Briefly.co.za looks at the 10 richest footballers and their net worth at the start of 2018. Net worth does not refer to the amount of money in a person’s bank account, but is a combined amount of all the stuff they own.
This includes their homes, holiday homes, luxury goods such as watches and jewellery, cars and yes money in the bank.
1. Cristiano Ronaldo — net worth $321.5 million
2. Lionel Messi — net worth $295 million
3. Zlatan Ibrahimović — net worth $141 million
4. Wayne Rooney— net worth $120 million
5. Eden Hazard — net worth $100 million
6. Gareth Bale — net worth $72 million
7. Neymar — net worth $63 million
8. Yaya Touré — net worth $55 million
9. Sergio Agüero — net worth $51 million
10. John Terry - net worth $50 million
Do you have a story to share with Briefly? Visit our Facebook page where you can send us a message or leave us a comment. Your story could be shared online.
To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on GooglePlay or iTunes today.