Cyril Ramaphosa is a dynamic and complicated man, he has many varied interests. Unlike his predecessor, he is a seasoned businessman. He is also a skilled politician and a brilliant negotiator.
He was Nelson Mandela's preferred candidate to succeed him instead of Thabo Mbeki and that he was the first secretary of Cosatu.
Briefly.co.za put together this list with the help of iol.co.za which reveals 10 interesting facts about President Cyril Ramaphosa.
1. He is one of the richest people in South Africa and has an estimated net worth of R5.67 billion.
2. His wife, Dr Tshepo Motsepe, is sister to another one of the richest people in Africa, Patrice Motsepe. Ramaphosa has four children who keep out of the limelight.
3. In 1991 Ramaphosa was an acting professor at Stanford University
4. His mansion is valued at approximately R30-million and is located in the shadow of Lion's Head in Cape Town.
5. He inspected IRA weapon dumps in Northern Island as part of the peace negotiations
6. Ramaphosa is a cattle Ankole breeder and sold one his bulls at auction for R640 000.
7. His favourite food is fish and salad.
8. He was awarded a 20-year franchise with McDonald's in 2011.
9. His first presidential campaign was unsuccessful when he ran against Thabo Mbeki.
10. He is the founder of the Cyril Ramaphosa Foundation, which "aims to foster the development of an inclusive society that is empowered", and along with his wife, assists a number of disadvantaged students financially.
He was at Mandela's side when he was released from prison. He also spent time in prison, 11-months when he was a student activist fighting against apartheid.
Do you have a story to share with us? Inbox us on our Facebook page and we could feature your story.