Mkhwebane left reeling after the High Court sets her CIEX report aside

Mkhwebane left reeling after the High Court sets her CIEX report aside

- The Public Protector is in shock after the high court set her report aside

- Her report's remedial action had wanted ABSA to pay back over R1-billion dating back to an apartheid-era bailout

- Her office has promised to study the report before deciding what action to take

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

Public Protector Advocate Busisiwe Mkhwebane says that she is shocked by the judgement issued against her report by the High Court in Pretoria.

The report had ordered ABSA to pay over R1-billion. ABSA, the Reserve Bank and Treasury had challenged that the report was procedurally unfair and rested on material errors of fact and law.

Briefly.co.za learned that Mkhwebane's report had investigated an apartheid-era bailout which she reported must be paid back to the government. In an about turn, Mkhwebane claimed that her remedial action was only a recommendation according to ewn.co.za.

Mkhwebane had also met with Black Land First (BLF) who wanted ABSA to pay back the money. She had refused to meet with ABSA before releasing the report.

READ ALSO: 11 lessons Msholozi taught us the hard way

Her office released a statement saying that it would study the report and decide on a course of action thereafter.

Spokesperson Cleopatra Mosana said: “The Public Protector indicated that she's shocked and she’s still studying the judgement and will reveal her reasons in due course.”

The court had awarded costs to ABSA, 15% of which must be paid personally by Mkhwebane and the remaining 85% by her office.

READ ALSO: Schabir Shaik’s millions paid to Zuma apparently for children’s education and upkeep

Do you have a story to share with us? Inbox us on our Facebook page and we could feature your story.

To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on Google Play or iTunes today.

Source: Briefly.co.za

Related news
Presidency hints that Zuma may be asked to pay back legal fees

Presidency hints that Zuma may be asked to pay back legal fees

Presidency hints that Zuma may be asked to pay back legal fees
Briefly.co.za