- ANC spokesperson Pule Mabe has said that Ace Magashule will not be stepping down from his duties as secretary-general
- Magashule had been asked to step aside by the ANC's Integrity Commission due to the charges he has been facing
- According to Mabe, Magashule will remain in his position until a final decision has been made by the NEC
ANC secretary-general Ace Magashule was asked to step down by the ruling party's Integrity Commission due to his corruption charges. The recommendation was made because of the pending outcomes of his criminal charges.
ANC's spokesperson Pule Mabe told the media on Tuesday that Magashule will not be stepping aside from his duties at the political party. According to Mabe, Magashule is going to remain in his position until the National Executive Committee (NEC) makes a final decision on his future.
“The secretary-general remains the secretary-general of the ANC and is expected to do the work that an SG of the ANC is expected to be doing,” said Mabe.
The NEC is currently faced with a big decision to make regarding the ANC secretary-general's future. He is set to make his next appearance in court in February next year. The NEC is currently receiving guidelines to handle the situation.
Until a decision has been made, Magashule will remain in his position according to Mabe.
"As the matter stands, the NEC of the ANC has not sanctioned the distribution of any report. None whatsoever but it is aware of the existence of a report from the integrity commission," said Mabe.
Earlier, Briefly.co.za reported that the Integrity Committee wants the secretary-general, Ace Magashule to step aside. Ace Magashule has to step aside according to the ruling party's Integrity Commission's recommendation. The committee's recommendation called for Magashule to step aside pending the outcome of his fraud and corruption case, with suspension mentioned should he fail to willingly comply.
A three-page report to the party's national executive committee insisted that party resolutions should be applied without fear or favour.
The resolution states that members who are facing formal charges should step aside pending the finalisation of the respective cases.
In other news, Briefly.co.za reported that Jacob Zuma says he will not comply with the State Capture Inquiry. Former President Jacob Zuma has snubbed the Commission of State Capture Inquiry and has said that he will not be taking part.
The State Capture Inquiry issued a summons for the former president to appear at the Constitutional Court next year but he is not having it. The deadline for Zuma to reply to the summons was Monday, but Zuma's lawyers sent a message to the commission expressing that he will not be present at the State Capture.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!