Will he be arrested? Hawks refuse to talk about Duduzane Zuma's legal status

Will he be arrested? Hawks refuse to talk about Duduzane Zuma's legal status

- The Hawks refused to give details on whether Duduzane Zuma was a person of interest or if there was a warrant issued for his arrest

- Questions emerged after the organisation spoke about their case against Ajay Gupta

- However, according to the Hawks’ spokesperson, they are not allowed to give out more information regarding their case

PAY ATTENTION: Click "See first" under the "Following" tab to see Briefly news on your News Feed!

Whether or not Jacob Zuma’s son, Duduzane, would be investigated by the Hawks or if there had been a warrant issued for his arrest, is unknown.

The uncertainty over Duduzane’s fate followed the Hawks refusing to discuss their investigation.

On Tuesday, Hawks spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi said people wanted to know what was happening in their investigation after they spoke about Ajay Gupta.

He added they could not discuss the details of their case, since it is operational matters.

“We find it very difficult that people talk about Duduzane‚ they talk about the other Guptas. We have never gone to that extent.”, Mulaudzi added.

Briefly.co.za gathered the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson, Luvuyo Mfaku, said they could only comment when a warrant had been issued.

Mfaku also gave an update on the NPA’s plan of action regarding Atul Gupta’s appeal to have the preservation order the NPA’s Asset Forfeiture Unit (AFU) obtained set aside.

He said they would be filing court papers at the High Court in Bloemfontein on Wednesday, which aim to oppose Atul’s application.

The preservation order saw a bank account owned by Atul, with a balance of R10 million, seized while the investigation was pending.

READ ALSO: From flowers to a R30 000 spa day: Lerato Kganyago's insane gifts

The Times LIVE reported the money is linked to the AFU’s investigation into the Estina dairy project in Vrede, Free State.

R220 million was allocated to the project, which aimed to benefit poor farmers. However, it is believed the Guptas and their associates pocketed the money. AFU reports suggest only R2 million was spent on the farm.

However, Atul challenged the claims, denying he received the R10 million in an affidavit, which he signed and dated on 8 February in Dubai.

“I categorically deny any such transfer into any bank account owned or operated by me.”, his affidavit read.

Do you have a story to share with us? Inbox us on our Facebook page and we could feature your story.

To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on Google Play or iTunes today

Source: Briefly.co.za

Related news
Former MEC claims Guptas offered him R2m to sign off on R41.8bn project

Former MEC claims Guptas offered him R2m to sign off on R41.8bn project

Former MEC claims Guptas offered him R2m to sign off on R41.8bn project
Briefly.co.za
Mailfire view pixel