Senzo Meyiwa's family devastated after new tombstone defaced

Senzo Meyiwa's family devastated after new tombstone defaced

- Senzo Meyiwa's family just can't seem to catch a break these days

- The Bafana Bafana icon's recently unveiled tombstone has been vandalised

- A spokesperson says that the family has been shattered by this cruel act and that they intend to press charges

PAY ATTENTION: Join Briefly News' Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

The late soccer icon Senzo Meyiwa's recently unveiled tombstone has been vandalised much to his family's horror.

The tombstone was unveiled at the Mayville Heroes Acre in Durban and was discovered to have been destroyed on Saturday.

Siyabonga Meyiwa, speaking on behalf of the family, says that they were devastated and shocked by the hateful incident.

Mainstream

Meyiwa's tombstone was defiled recently. Image: Adam Davy - PA Images
Source: Getty Images

News24 reports that Meyiwa had confirmed that a Durban metro municipal employee had informed the family of the sad incident.

"We are disappointed and don't know what is happening and why would a person in his right mind vandalise a tombstone. It is an act of crime as far as we can see. We don't know what motivated the person to damage Senzo's tombstone."

Life in 2020 lockdown: Zol, Ramaphosa's masks and illegal weddings

Senzo's mom, Ntombifuthi, is unhappy about the fate of the monument dedicated to her son's memory.

The Meyiwa family intends to take action over the tombstone which was unveiled just last month by the South African Football Association.

Meanwhile, Briefly.co.za reported that Senzo Meyiwa's family believe that the men arrested for the death of the soccer icon are innocent and are going as far as to assist one of the suspects.

The Bafana Bafana captain's brother Sfiso Meyiwa says that the family has always said the men charged for the murder are innocent.

Sinqobile Maphisa, the sister of one of the suspects, claims that her brother is innocent and is facing alleged torture in prison.

Sfiso commented on these claims during an interview with the Daily News, promising that they were set to make 'heads roll':

Bun fails, Tito's try and fiery clapbacks: Nando's SA helped make 2020
“There is substantial evidence on the second docket of a defeating the ends of justice."

Sinqobile wrote that police are roaming the streets in her neighbourhood attempting to bribe people in exchange for testimony in court:

“Unbeknown to the police some of the people they approached are friends with my brother and they alerted me. What is it that these police are trying to hide, what about all those that were inside the house when Senzo was killed. If police have evidence like they claim then why does the case keep getting postponed, what more do they need to gather if they have said they have all the evidence."

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Hot:
Online view pixel