Shimza and 3 celebs who called Minister Nathi Mthethwa out in 2020

Shimza and 3 celebs who called Minister Nathi Mthethwa out in 2020

Mzansi celebs have shared that they have been struggling financially amid the Covid-19 pandemic. Many of them were happy when Sports, Arts and Culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa announced the R150 million relief fund earlier this year to help sportsmen and artists during the ongoing lockdown that's due to the coronavirus outbreak.

PAY ATTENTION: Join Briefly News' Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

Most Mzansi celebs took to to social media to share their grievances about the lack of financial support from government since the lockdown began. Most of the South African entertainers called Minister Mthethwa out for not getting their share of the relief fund.

Briefly.co.za has been following the story throughout the year. The publication takes a look at four Mzansi stars who broke their silence about their financial struggles amid the lockdown and took to Twitter to call the minister out for the lack of funding.

Video shows pastor gifting day's offertory to church member to start a business

1. Actress Nokuthula Mavuso

Nokuthula wrote a precise Twitter thread to Mthethwa and the SA presidency, detailing her struggle as a freelance actress. At the time, she revealed that she last worked in April 2019 before the birth of her child.

Nokuthula said she had submitted all necessary documentation but she was yet to receive correspondence from government.

2. Singer Kelly Khumalo

The Empini hitmaker took to social media to ask government about her share of the R150 million Covid-19 relief fund for artists. The songstress is one of a number of Mzansi musicians who have complained to Sports, Arts and Culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa about being in the dark about the promised relief fund.

Kelly shared a video on Instagram where she poured out her grievances to Mthethwa and government.

"Just before I go gym in the garden, I realised I had a very important question to ask the government and Department of Sports, Arts and Culture. I looked in my bank account and I don't see anything."
Ex-ambassador and veteran journalist Jon Gwelane passes away

3. Musician Stoan Seate

The musician and TV presenter also took to Twitter to share that he was feeling the Covid-19 pinch. The member of Bongo Maffin admitted that for the first time in 25 years his family's financial future no longer lied in the music industry amid the Covid-19 lockdown in the country.

The star said his admission was heartbreaking after investing half his life in the industry. Stoan said the money is just not enough.

"R150 million is hardly enough for all these artists and this is made exponentially worse by the fact that the money has to be shared with all the sports people. This is a reflection of the amount of value that government and the society attach to us and this is just not enough."

4. DJ Shimza

The popular DJ recently took to social media to call Mthethwa out for ignoring his proposal about cutting down on social gatherings. Shimza took to Twitter on Monday, 14 December and shared that Mthethwa blue-ticked his proposal that would have seen artists continue with virtual events on TV.

AKA and 3 other Mzansi celebs who had Covid19 share their experiences

Shimza was one of the producers of a music show called #LockdownHouseParty on Channel O. It used to play on Friday and Saturday night during the stricter levels of Mzansi's coronavirus lockdown.

Shimza and 3 celebs who called Minister Nathi Mthethwa out in 2020

DJ Shimza and actress Nokuthula Mavuso are some of the celebs who called Minister Nathi Mthethwa out in 2020. Image: @shimza.dj, @artsculturesa, @noxnonozi
Source: Instagram

In related news, Briefly.co.za reported that AKA has decided to close his club in Durban due to Covid-19 concerns. Supa Mega took to Twitter on Monday, 28 December and shared that due to safety reasons, he and his partners would close the hip and happening club until 1 January, 2021.

The Fela In Versace rapper expressed that due to rising cases of Covid-19 in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, they'll be closing Cuba BLK till next year. The star also apologised to their customers who had made plans to spend New Year's Eve at the venue. AKA further said:

"We would like to send 100 apologies to our customers and the people who went out of their way to make Cuba BLK a success. An endless thank you t the Cuba BLK team and our partners for working around the clock to improve the situation towards our 2021 re-opening. It's been a hell of a year but we're getting there. Thank you for understanding."
Eish, it's rough: 5 celebs who were fired from their jobs in 2020

AKA's fans took to his comment section to commend him for taking the decision.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel