Relief for victims of Masiphumelele fire as donations pour in

Relief for victims of Masiphumelele fire as donations pour in

- Tragedy struck the informal township of Masiphumelele when a fire ripped through the community on 17 December

- Since then donations have poured in and have now been handed out to the 1 100 victims of the fire

- Cape Town Mayor Dan Plato facilitated his office's efforts to distribute the much-needed mattresses, bedding and food parcels

PAY ATTENTION: Join Briefly News' Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

Just before Christmas, 1 100 people were the victim of a fire which swept through Masiphumelele and destroyed their homes.

Fortunately for them, donations have been received which should help the victims recover from the tragedy.

The fire engulfed Masiphumelele on 17 December and destroyed almost 1 300 houses in the informal settlement in Hout Bay.

Relief for victims of Masiphumelele fire as donations pour in

Scouts South Africa and Clicks took part in the donation drive for the victims of the Masiphumelele fire. Photo credit: @ClicksSouthAfrica, @SAScout
Source: Facebook

Cape Town Mayor Dan Plato helped to coordinate the city's support efforts and 1 100 mattresses, bedding and food parcels were handed out.

The donations were collected to support the victims were in line with the City's response to the disaster.

Lebo M fears for Soweto residents amid 2nd wave of Covid19 infections
“The City remains committed to ensuring the well-being of those affected and will continue to work to support the proposed interventions.
“The mayor was in Masiphumelele in support of the Masiphumelele fire victims, to donate essential items they would need as they begin to rebuild their homes and lives once again,” said Lyndon Khan, Mayor Dan Plato's spokesperson.

Earlier, Briefly.co.za reported that the holidays have not been kind to Masiphumele informal settlement after a fire ripped through the community in Nordhoek.

The disaster took place on Thursday and Cape Town's emergency services spent hours battling the conflagration. A rough estimate has revealed that around 1 000 homes have been damaged and destroyed by the fire.

In other news, a local emergency service worker recently took to Facebook to share some advice with locals. In the post, he says that people should practice safety measures at all times during the festive season as he will be working.

Mzansi reacts to news of Northern Cape beaches being allowed to stay open

Njabulo Buthelezi Alphios also shared a picture of himself looking handsome in his uniform while standing by the ambulance.

"For us, there is no holidays, I’m proud to save South African lives this December. Stayers. Please take care and enjoy this festive season responsibly. #Imstaying," he captioned the post.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel