Chiefs and Pirates' clashes with Angola prompt urgent SAFA meeting

Chiefs and Pirates' clashes with Angola prompt urgent SAFA meeting

- Orlando Pirates and Kaizer Chief have two separate clashes against two different Angolan teams in early January 2021

- Due to Covid-19 regulations in both Angola and South Africa, there might be changes made to the upcoming games

- The South African Football Association (SAFA) is in talks with Angola regarding the clashes and ways to move forward

PAY ATTENTION: Join Briefly News' Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

The Covid-19 pandemic has affected sports in more ways than one. Kaizer Chiefs and Orlando Pirates have clashes against two separate Angolan teams and now the South African Football Association (SAFA) is in talks with Angola.

Chiefs are set to take on Primeiro de Agosto in Angola for a Champions League group stage play-off while Pirates are set to host Sagrada Esperanca. Angola has however limited international travel due to their second wave of infections.

To add to this, President Cyril Ramaphosa's family meeting earlier in the week confirmed SA's return to Level 3 with strengthened regulations.

Percy Tau helps Anderlecht secure victory in Belgium Pro League
Chiefs, Pirates, clashes see urgent SAFA meeting

Due to Covid-19 regulations, the South African Football Association is in talks with Angola ahead of Orlando Pirates and Kaizer Chiefs' clashes against two Angolan clubs.
Source: Getty Images

Soccer Laduma reported that SAFA acting CEO Tebogo Motlanthe stated that football authorities would have to consult with the government and get back to the association regarding the two matches.

While The South African reported that Amakhosi would take on Primeiro de Agosto on Tuesday, 5 January while the Buccaneers are set to face Sagrada Esperanca on Wednesday, 6 January.

In other soccer news, Briefly.co.za reported that negotiations between Mamelodi Sundowns and Al Ahly regarding Gastón Sirino have collapsed. This comes after Sundowns made the decision to terminate the negotiations over Sirino, saying that the two clubs are too far apart on a deal. The issue revolves around the transfer fee for the striker.

Despite the failure to reach an agreement, the club has said that the relationship between the two clubs remains good. The Sundowns are going to continue to sign players to European, African and other football clubs, as they have done in the past with the likes of Percy Tau and others.

Ntsiki Mazwai believes Ramaphosa will lock SA down, tweeps react

Interestingly, the club advised Sirino to focus on his football and compete for a position in the starting line-up for the Sundowns. The club released a statement on their official website. However, Amir Tawfik, head of transfers at the Egyptian club Al Ahly, has said that they are negotiating with Mamelodi Sundowns over Sirino.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel