Zuma expected to face 18 charges after prosecutors dismiss his representations

Zuma expected to face 18 charges after prosecutors dismiss his representations

- A team of prosecutors has recommended that the 18 charges of corruption, money laundering and racketeering be reinstated against Zuma

- They were not convinced by Zuma's representations as to why he should no be charged

- The charges were meant to reinstated last year after the Supreme Court of Appeal ruled that the withdrawal of the charges was irrational, Shaun Abrahams gave Zuma one last chance to make representations

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

Prosecutors charged with analysing Jacob Zuma's representations were left unconvinced and unanimously recommended that he face the 18 charges that were previously withdrawn.

They signed a memorandum which was delivered to the National Director of Public Prosecutions Shaun Abrahams on Friday.

Briefly.co.za learned that this would make it very difficult for Abrahams to justify a decision not to charge Zuma on the 18 counts of corruption, money laundering and racketeering, originating from 783 questionable payments he received according to news24.com.

READ ALSO: South Africa's most well known fugitive, Atul Gupta, spotted in Dubai at South African Consulate

A series of legal engagements may begin against Zuma who was recently forced to resign as state president by the ANC.

Additionally, he is also to be the focus of the upcoming state capture inquiry head by the deputy chief justice.

The team of prosecutors had worked tirelessly putting together a case against Zuma after they agreed that the former president had failed to provide compelling reasons for the charges to be dropped.

“There is no turning back. Zuma has to have his day in court. I cannot imagine Abrahams ignoring the recommendations of five prosecutors he appointed to guide him with this decision,” said an NPA insider.

A public announcement will be made after the parties involved in the case were informed on what decision the NPA had reached in regards to the charges.

An official said: “The summary of his representations was that he was innocent and he questioned the timing of the charges saying the NPA failed to prosecute him a long time ago.”

The head of the Hawks, Yolisa Matakata, reassured the public that the evidence for the case remained uncompromised and would be handed over to the NPA.

READ ALSO: Opinion: Gigaba's budget makes it clear that the poor must pay for government's mistakes

Shaun Abrahams cannot decide on Zuma's fate until the Constitutional Court rules on Wednesday over the validity of his position. Last year the High Court ruled that Abrahams appointment was invalid.

In October of last year, the Supreme Court of Appeal had ruled that the former prosecutions boss Mokotedi Mpshe decision to withdraw charges against Zuma was irrational.

Technically the ruling meant that the charges against Zuma were automatically reinstated, Abrahams gave Zuma one last chance to make representations as to why he should not be charged.

Do you have a story to share with us? Inbox us on our Facebook page and we could feature your story.

To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on Google Play or iTunes today.

Source: Briefly.co.za

Related news
Teacher leaves job at Michealhouse over inappropriate relationship with pupil

Michaelhouse teacher resigns over inappropriate relationship with student

Michaelhouse teacher resigns over inappropriate relationship with student
Briefly.co.za