- The 20 richest people in the world are worth a combined $1.2 trillion
- There are 2 208 billionaires on the planet
- The top 20 represent less than 1% of the total billionaires but their wealth represents 13% of the total wealth from billionaires
The gap between the poor and rich is well-known, less well known is the growing gap between the super-rich and the just-rich.
There is a record number of 2 208 billionaires on the planet in 2018. Together these billionaires are worth a mind-boggling $9.1 trillion, up 18% from a year ago.
The 20 richest people in this group are worth a combined $1.2 trillion, which means that although they represent less than 1% of the total billionaires their wealth represents 13% of total wealth from billionaires.
Briefly.co.za takes a look at the 20 richest people on the list and what their net worth is. Each person’s net worth is calculated by looking at stock prices and the value of assets such as real estate, art and investments.
1. Jeff Bezos - $112 billion 2. Bill Gates - $90 billion
3. Warren Buffet - $84 billion 4. Bernard Arnault - $72 billion
5. Mark Zuckerberg - $71 billion 6. Armancio Ortega - $70 billion
7. Carlos Slim Helu - $67.1 billion 8. Charles Koch - $60 billion
9. David Koch - $60 billion 10. Larry Ellison - $58.5 billion
11. Michael Bloomberg - $50 billion 12. Larry Page - $48.8 billion
13. Sergey Brin - $47.5 billion 14. Jim Walton - $46.4 billion
15. Robson Walton - $46.2 billion 16. Alice Walton - $46 billion
17. Ma Huateng - $45.3 billion 18. Françoise Bettencourt Meyers - $42.2 billion
19. Mukesh Ambani - $40.1 billion 20. Jack Ma - $39 billion
Do you have a story to share with Briefly? Visit our Facebook page where you can send us a message or leave us a comment. Your story could be shared online.
To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on GooglePlay or iTunes today.