Former Eskom Executives’ Homes and Businesses Seized by NPA

Former Eskom Executives’ Homes and Businesses Seized by NPA

- The NPA through its Investigating Directorate has moved swiftly to raid homes belonging to Eskom executives involved in alleged fraudulent practices

- According to the NPA Investigating Directorate’s spokesperson Sindisiwe Seboka, the move to confiscate the assets was granted by the Johannesburg High Court

- It is reported that the seizure of the assets belonging to the ex-Eskom bosses is set up to up to the value of R1.4 billion

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

The NPA’s Investigating Directorate’s officers have swooped in on the ex-executive's homes, businesses and properties to confiscate them. Media reports surfaced on Tuesday morning that the ID has acted swiftly to infiltrate the homes and businesses of former Eskom executives.

It is reported that the ID has also targeted the suppliers after it was granted permission through a court order to seize their assets up to the value of R1,4 billion on Tuesday morning.

Read also

6 Arrested on charges of allegedly conning SARS out of R1 million

It never rains but pours for Eskom executives as they are now facing the full might of the law.

The NPA has acted swiftly to seize the assets and properties of former Eskom bosses. Image: Twitter
The NPA has acted swiftly to seize the assets and properties of former Eskom bosses. Image: Twitter
Source: Facebook

According to The South African, the Johannesburg High Court has awarded the NPA’s Investigating Directorate (ID) a restraint order valued at R1.4 billion against former Eskom executives and former Tubular Construction Projects contractors.

Furthermore, the Investigating Directorate’s spokesperson Sindisiwe Seboka has also confirmed that the freezing order had been granted in terms of the Prevention of Organised Crimes Act and was served and enforced on all the accused in Mpumalanga, Gauteng, and Limpopo on Tuesday morning.

She made mention of erstwhile Eskom senior manager for Capital Contracts, France Hlakudi, the company’s former group executive for Group Capital, Abram Masango, former Tubular Construction Projects CEO, Antonio Trindade, businessman Maphoko Kgomoeswana, former Tubular Holdings Executive Advisor, Michael Lomas, and six companies owned by these individuals were served with the order.

Read also

Tourism Department interdicted against paying out equity funds

Seboka said:

“In addition, their spouses’ assets and their family trusts were included in the restraint order. The freezing order prohibits them from dealing in any manner with any of their realisable property.
“The curator, Trevor Hill, who was appointed by the court in terms of the order, did an inventory of all the affected assets which have been restrained pending the outcome of the criminal trial.”

Briefly News recently reported that former Eskom bosses Abram Masango and France Hlakudi are in deep trouble, facing charges of fraud, corruption and money laundering. It was reported that R745 million worth of questionable deals had been struck under their watch, with the pair receiving massive R30 million kickbacks for their efforts.

IOL reported that the duo was granted bail set at R300 000 each and told to hand in their passports to the officer in charge.

Read also

Gupta gang and Salim Essa banned in UK for their role in SA corruption

Hawks spokesperson Hangwani Mulaudzi revealed that one suspect is still at large, with the National Prosecuting Authority currently moving to fast-track the extradition process. Mulaudzi says the investigative unit is convinced they had all their ducks in a row before carrying out the arrests.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel