- Former president Jacob Zuma will now be summoned to appear in a KZN court as the process of his prosecution moves back to the province where he is from
- Shaun Abrahams said the matter is no longer in his hands as the director of the public prosecution in the province takes over the case
- The announcement on Friday by Abrahams of the decision to continue with the prosecution fallows the supreme court ruling last yeat to set aside the 2009 decision to withdraw charges
Jacob Zuma case is now in the hands of the Director of Public Prosecution in Zuma’s home province of KwaZulu-Natal where the summons to appear in court will be issued following the announcement on Friday by National Prosecutions head, Advocate Shaun Abrahams of the NPA’s intention to proceed with the prosecution of the former President.
In 2009, a decision was made to withdraw charges against Zuma, but last year a supreme court ruled against that decision.
Briefly.co.za learned that Abrahams in his announcement said he considered representations by Zuma after the decision by the Supreme Court and working within the promised time frames he had given to both Zuma and another NGO of two weeks notice before his decision would be announced.
“The indictment served on Mr Zuma in December 2007 thus stood. Mr Zuma submitted representations to me, Mr Zuma’s representations are unsuccessful,” announced Abrahams. “The Director of Public Prosecution in KwaZulu-Natal will facilitate the necessary processes for Mr Zuma and his co-accused to appear in court.”
The NPA has reportedly lined up almost 200 people to testify in the trial, and believe they have a strong case against Zuma.
Meanwhile, Democratic Alliance (DA) leader Mmusi Maimane was overjoyed with the news that Shaun Abrahams had announced that the charges of corruption were to be prosecuted. He said that if Shabir Shaik was found guilty of the same crimes there is no reason Zuma would escape justice.
However, Zuma's legal team will more than likely frustrate the process and cause a number of delays before the matter is heard in court. It is also uncertain what the NPA has in terms of a case and evidence.
READ ALSO: PAC: Racists must go to Australia
Law experts believe that it is highly unlikely that Zuma will be arrested since the case has been in the works for over 10 years and there is no particular sense of urgency at the moment.
The NPA still has to confirm a date and in addition Abrahams is facing allegations that he has a conflict of interest in this case which all may contribute to delays.
South African courts face a serious backlog of cases and it might be months or years before Zuma enters a courtroom. Ulrich Roux, an attorney, said that it could be as long as four years until Zuma is finally sentenced. Zuma would by then be 80-years-old.
A tweep using the name of Zuma's son, Duduzane, himself on the run, bemoans the situation that Zuma senior is in.
Follow us on our Facebook page to have your own say on this and other stories. If you have a story to tell, let us know by messenger and we could feature your story, or follow our editors on twitter by following @BrieflySA.