Police confiscate over 320k used condoms meant for recycling

- Police have arrested a woman in a raid and said used condoms were being washed, dried and reshaped before being resold

- The owner of the warehouse said they got the unused contraceptives for recycling monthly from an unidentified person

- The Vietnamese authorities are not sure how many recycled rubbers had been sold to the public by the time the contraband was confiscated

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

The police in Vietnam have confiscated over 320 000 used condoms that were set for recycling and later be sold.

The police that raided the warehouse seized 360kgs of the used contraceptives which they said was equivalent to approximately 345 000 condoms.

According to the BBC, a woman arrested during the raid said the used rubbers were first being boiled in water, dried and reshaped with a wooden gadget, repackaged and resold to customers.

Bheki Cele admits that there corrupt cops in the criminal world

According to the woman, she was being paid R2.85 for every kilogram of the condoms she prepared for recycling.

The owner of the warehouse, who admitted the bizarre business was indeed taking place, said they were receiving a monthly supply of the used condoms from "an unknown person".

The Vietnamese authorities said they were not sure how many recycled condoms had been sold to the public in the illicit business.

In a related story, a Thai manufacturer asked Kenyans to be on the lookout after it recalled Sure condoms from the Kenyan market for failing quality test.

Through its distributor, the Kenya Medical Supplies Authority, Innolatex Limited also appealed to stockists to ensure affected batch numbers were not sold to unsuspecting customers.

Shockingly, the manufacture had indicated December 2021 and December 2022 as expiry dates.

In 2018, the Ministry destroyed a total of 785 481 Fiesta condoms for being dangerously porous and too thin thus exposing users to various health hazards.

Fact Check: No, a woman was not kidnapped at gunpoint in Midrand

In the same year, a Nairobi man sued the Kenya Revenue Authority and the Kenya Bureau of Standards after a condom broke while he was in bed with a side chic whom he claimed had infected him with an STI.

In other news, ANC Councillor Andile Lungisa is a lucky man, granted bail set at the amount of R10 000 on Friday. The politician will be released from prison pending the Constitutional Court's decision on his application for leave to appeal his sentence.

This decision was handed down in the Makhanda High Court just days after Lungisa began his two-year sentence for assault.

Judge Sunil Rugunanan had commented on the decision to grant Lungisa bail:

“If I were to refuse bail and the application for leave to appeal is successful, whenever that may be, then the applicant will be deprived of his freedom unnecessarily and the interests of justice will not be served."

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Related news