- An elderly man from China was almost admitted to a morgue after being mistakenly declared dead
- The man, wrapped in a body bag, was in a hearse and workers were surprised to find out he was still alive when they were lowering his body
- Netizens were upset as many pointed out the fact that the man could have been buried or cremated had he not been discovered alive
PAY ATTENTION: Follow Briefly News on Twitter and never miss the hottest topics! Find us at @brieflyza!
An elderly Shanghai resident was mistakenly declared dead and taken to a morgue in a body bag in the latest sign of dysfunction in the Covid-stricken city where millions of people remain under government-enforced lockdown.
Man mistakenly declared dead
CNN reports that video footage, shot by a bystander, shows the moment several workers dressed head-to-toe in protective gear recoil as they realize the man is still alive.
The clip has since gone viral on Chinese social media, sparking horror and outrage.
Enjoy reading our stories? Download the BRIEFLY NEWS app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!
The video, posted on Sunday, shows the head of the man appearing from the yellow body bag as the workers lift it from a vehicle.
The person filming the video, apparently from a nearby building, can be heard saying:
"The nursing home is such a mess. They sent a living person on a hearse and said they were dead. The undertaker staff said they were still moving. It is irresponsible, really irresponsible."
On China's Twitter-like platform Weibo, many expressed disbelief such a grave mistake could have happened.
"The problems in Shanghai are fully exposed this time," read one comment.
"This counts as intentional homicide," wrote another user.
Hospital to compensate for erroneously declaring man dead
Mike Tyson will not be prosecuted for punching man on a plane: "Our decision is that we won't file charges"
It is not the first time something like this happens. Kapkatet Sub-County Hospital in Kericho county was directed to compensate the family of a man who was erroneously declared dead by one of its medics.
In the incident, the victim, Peter Kigen, shocked morgue attendants after regaining consciousness in the facility's mortuary during embalming.
Kigen fainted at home after suffering a stomach ache on Tuesday, November 24, 2020, and was rushed to the hospital and a nurse from the facility pronounced him dead moments later.
According to his uncle, a mortuary attendant started the preservation process of the body by making a cut to his right leg to infuse formalin but the man regained consciousness and let out a loud wail due to the pain.
Source: Briefly News